My bow broke.

mevertsen

I came in from hunting yesterday after missing an opportunity at a massive buck.

I grabbed my bow put lf the toyota to do a little shooting before the evening hunt.

Pics are self explanatory.

Bow is a Scheels October Mountain Smokey Mountain Hunter. I bought it 3 years ago.

It's has been strung for a while. Shooting every day, etc.

Luckily I have a back up compound.
I was dead set on not killing a deer unless I did it with a recurve. That has changed, as I can't stay out of the hills. Lol.

Recommendation for a nice recurve that doesn't cost as much as a flagship compound?

I really like the simplicity and ease of carrying of a recurve. This compound is heavy as sin.

BTW. I was inside 20 yards of that buck but could not see him as he was on the other side of a rock. I had to sneak down a bit and he was sneaking out the back door.
IMG_20220811_161723_01.jpg20220811_093813.jpg
Oh well. The hunt is a rush!

Sounds like a great hunt, though a bummer. Still shooting the recurve I bought in '74. Stays strung all summer and hunting season.
Haven't done heavy research but I've read the Samik Sage is a decent cheap bow. Amazon

it appears to be a takedown bow. why not replacement limbs?
I am considering that. But it doesn't do me any good at the moment. Monday is my last day off before returning back for 4 days work them to my elk hunt.

Second is just a trust issue. When stuff breaks its tough for me to trust it again. Who knows what cause it, but it will take me a while to warm up to it.

I agree that break almost looks like something damaged the limb to break clean across like that. You may be correct in that something in your truck damaged it. I'd just try replacement limbs as well if you liked the bow. I have a similar bow to the Sage and it's been great up to this point. Been shooting it about 4-5 years now. Finally took my first deer with it last year.

The limb/pocket design looks nearly identical to a Samick/Galaxy Sage. You can get Sage limbs from Amazon for $85. It might take some shimming or sanding to get them to fit well, but I bet it could be made to work.

The limb/pocket design looks nearly identical to a Samick/Galaxy Sage. You can get Sage limbs from Amazon for $85. It might take some shimming or sanding to get them to fit well, but I bet it could be made to work.
I think that was what the new limbs for it were at October Mountain.

I'll get through this season then address the issue

Were you able to find a new bow or order some replacement limbs? I haven't shot the October Mountain bows, but the PSE shaman is priced for entry level (in my opinion) and has been a very good takedown so far. Hopefully you've been able to get something figured out and are back at it.

There is a lot to be said for a new bow and have heard alot of good things about Samick and others however if you do a little research on ebay you can find some fantastic buys on vintage recurves that in my opinion are alot sexier then these new production models and most have withstood an age of shooting with no or little issues. Before I bought a custom recurve my favorite bow I ever had was a 1968 Shakespeare Super Necedah. That bow was absolutely a pleasure to shoot.

Were you able to find a new bow or order some replacement limbs? I haven't shot the October Mountain bows, but the PSE shaman is priced for entry level (in my opinion) and has been a very good takedown so far. Hopefully you've been able to get something figured out and are back at it.
I have not. I finished out the season yesterday with my dad's recurve. Put it away for the while. Going to get my daughter, dad and father in law through rifle season then dig back into this project.

There is a lot to be said for a new bow and have heard alot of good things about Samick and others however if you do a little research on ebay you can find some fantastic buys on vintage recurves that in my opinion are alot sexier then these new production models and most have withstood an age of shooting with no or little issues. Before I bought a custom recurve my favorite bow I ever had was a 1968 Shakespeare Super Necedah. That bow was absolutely a pleasure to shoot.
After shooting my dad's bow, compared to the takedown, there is a difference.

My inclination is to buy a new one piece. We'll see how I feel about it in a couple months.

You put onto something I should not be onto....

I found that exact bow. Don't have the extra cash at the moment but will be looking in the coming months.

Thanks for the tip. A lot of cool bows put there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back