MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My 2023 Iowa season

Tuesday was rain off and on all day. I spotted a nice buck on public but he was a smart one. He was bedded down perched on a hillside where it was impossible to get to him for a shot. We moved on to other areas but didn't see anything on public.

After a bit I decided to go back to see if the buck moved. Spotted a herd further back from where the buck was with a buck in it. Not sure if it was the same buck but I'm going after him.

I take off while the wife stays back to watch ( I think just doing puzzles in her crossword book). They are about 3/4 mile back in a small valley. The only cover I have is right along the boundary line where there is folds in the landscape. By the time I get there they are gone. As I put my rifle in the gun bearer I hear something loose. When I look at it my scope is wiggling around like a bobble head. Oooohhhh great now I need to figure this out. When I get back to the truck the wife told me the antelope just fed over the hill onto private. Well atleast I didn't spook them out of there.

I tighten the scope and go off to sight it in again. There's a small piece of public that I haven't seen any animals on so I figured that's a good place to shoot. I had a folding table with two plywood cutting boards for deboneing meat in the back of the truck. No other targets with me I now have a cutting board with a circle drawn on it and two bullet holes in it.

My buddy and his wife had drove separate so we all decide to check some public on our way out for the day. Batteries getting low on my GPS it was acting up so as I'm looking at it I also see a herd with a nice buck that I think is on private land. As I keep moving my buddy stops. I figured he was just watching the herd. When I get back to the hotel I find out that it was public land and my buddy put a stalk on but no shot do to the antelope constantly moving around.

Wendsday morning I pulled out all the stops and put on my lucky shirt.

20231004_052722.jpg

The women decided to stay back at the hotel so me and my buddy walked back into some blm that we hadn't looked at yet. We walk up around this tree line to look around the other side.

20231004_071758.jpg

When we get to the other side it opens up wide open to this.

20231004_073053.jpg

We did see some mule deer along the back side of the tree line.

We went back to the hotel to grab the wives and take off our separate ways. Me and the wife went to check out some public areas that we had seen some pronghorn hanging out on private but close to public hoping they would work their way across the boundary.

Parked on a high ridge we were watching a herd right on the boundary line. One nice buck in there I have high hopes this works out. There is another nice buck farther on private bedded down patiently waiting for one of the girls to slip away. He seemed pretty content with just staying right there.

After about fifteen minutes a smaller buck shows up trying to sneak in on the ladies. The bigger buck in the herd was not going to let this happen. Now I'm hoping this might work in my favor as they run around playing cat and mouse. They were only about a hundred yards on private so not to far to move across the boundary line. We had a blast just watching the game being played. After watching awhile longer the whole herd slowly worked their way further into private land. We decided to move on with no other opportunities for the evening hunt.

Thursday was my last hunt day. We checked on some of the public we had had seen antelope around but nothing moving in the morning. Then we decided to try and a way to some other public that I couldn't figure out how to get to. Driving some county roads we discover that it all looks landlocked.

After being many miles out in cattle country I look at my map to find the easiest way to a Cafe and hopefully back to the hunting ground we are familiar with. I see this gravel road that goes north into Montana and meets up with a highway that heads into a town. I'm thinking great, some cafe burgers pretty soon because I am damn hungry. You know looking at a map that's not very far to drive. OH yes it is. I knew what the odometer read when we first hit the gravel first thing in the morning. By the time we got to the highway in Montana we traveled 85 miles on back country roads. Then about another 25 to the nearest town. My wife was not impressed with my choice of direction.

Finally got to this old bar for some greasy burgers.

20231005_123442.jpg

After lunch we headed back to areas that we are familiar with. I took a few walks with no animals spotted on public except mule deer does. Did I mention there has to be about a million mule deer does in this area. Almost everywhere you look there are does around. Did see a few bucks but nothing like the doe numbers. Antelope population looked decent also. After I made a few hikes around I got back to the truck with one hour left to go. The wife asks me what the plan is. She looked like she had enough for the trip so I said we are done with the hunt. Got back to the hotel, cleaned up, and went to a steakhouse for supper on our last night.

Now I need to rewind to opening day. Not much to tell because it was an easy afternoon for my buddies wife. After checking into the hotel we get out to do some glassing for a couple hours. Saw some antelope right away in a spot right next to private, no stalk opportunity there. Onto the next spot there's a buck walking alone well on public and within shooting distance. She put her first antelope down within the first hour of the hunt. I don't have any grip and grin pictures but that was one excited woman. Only one tag filled out of three but we all still had an absolute blast hunting.

A little more on my early muzzy season.
After opening weekend I decided to switch it up and sit a back field edge on a different property I have not hunted in a few years. The land owner only has the fields so I can't hunt in the timber. Kicked back in my turkey lounger I got to watch some turkeys work from the standing corn into the woods.

20231014_162902.jpg
20231014_160524.jpg

Watched about twenty turkeys in all. After that I pulled out some reading material to help pass the time. I've read this about three times now but still enjoy it.

20231014_161118.jpg

I'm facing east into the wind hoping deer feed out from the timber on my left. There's a wooded slough to my back that deer also use at times. Two does work behind me and get my wind. Not sure what to do they circle right around in front of me at fifty yards. Still acting skiddish they take off just as I'm getting the gun up to my shoulder. No shot there so the rest of the evening is uneventful.

To rewind a moment my dad and son Devon are also hunting. Over the weekend dad passed on a button buck and saw two nice bucks but no shots. Devon passed on a couple spikers.

Tuesday I find myself in the same back field but with a westerly wind I am on the opposite side, also the corn has been picked on the left side of this pic.

20231017_162344.jpg

After about a half hour of getting settled in I here a shot to the west. Dad and Devon are both about a mile in that direction. After another fifteen minutes I get a call from dad. Get over here, need help dragging a deer. Dad tagged out with a spiker.

20231017_175912.jpg

Getting his deer in the truck I have about forty-five minutes left of shooting light. It's a long shot but what the hell, I jump in a stand about seventy-five yards from where he gutted his deer and I sat the remaining light with nothing seen.

The following evening I'm sitting a field edge on the far west property we hunt. Same property we have 4 different stands in. Whenever I sit a stand in the evening I usually see some does after dark in this field while I'm walking out to the truck. Ok so does are on the list for the evening. I'm tucked back in the weeds with my turkey lounger and with 20 minutes of shooting light left a big doe with her fawn round the treeline angling right into my shooting lane.

There's a gravel road a quarter mile to my south with a dogleg type corner a half mile to my west. I can hear a car coming from a mile away so I decide to hold off and just let this car go by. As the car gets closer the deer start getting antsy and do what deer do best. They would have been fine if they stayed where they were but OH NO they run right onto the gravel road in front of the car and stop.

The car slows down and let's them cross to the other field. Only a couple minutes left of shooting light I have to just laugh and head back to the truck.

Thursday evening I sit in our far northwest stand. It was very uneventful so with about a half hour of shooting light left I decide to sneak out and go check that field from the previous evening.

On my way out I cross this wooded slough that usually has some deer tracks in it. I thought I would just stop and watch for about 5 minutes. After 5 I turn to keep moving and 2 does take off from 30 yards in front of me. DANG I think they must have been standing there watching me the whole time and I didn't see em.

Made it to the field edge with 10 minutes to go. Stood back in the weeds right at the timber edge until the last minute. After stepping out its pretty hard to see but I believe there was a few deer feeding to my east that I couldn't see before. Devon had been having the same luck over the past few days.

Since dad was tagged out he headed over to the Mississippi and got a limit of gills right away. After that he fished a couple more days but it was pretty slim pickings.

Friday evening it was into a different stand that I hadn't sat for a few days now. Thought I might change my luck by snacking on some venison summer sausage.

20231015_073235.jpg

Shortly after my snack this guy lands in a tree next to me. I'm thinking this has to be a good omen right.

20231017_183411.jpg

Well with about 3 minutes of shooting light left I hear a deer coming from my right. It's behind some thick brush but if it steps out it will be close, probably 20 yards. As I'm holding the gun I'm also staring at my watch as the last couple minutes tick by. I've been in this position before and I really don't like pushing it that close. As the clock winds down the deer took a hard right and stayed behind brush the whole time. Never even got a good look at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back