MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Muzzleloader newbie

perma

Hey all, need some wizard advice for my new to me muzzleloader i bought. I wanted to start small in case i didnt like it so i picked up a used CVA Accura. The serial number says -08 on the last part so i'm assuming it's made in 2008, so probably first gen?

Now i know what you're thinking; another one of those millennials taking away the primal hunting heritage away. rest assured im not any happier than you are, so hold your tar and feathers. I have an eye condition that really needs a scope to see clearly (google keratoconus). Once my eye is trained, and if i like it, i will do the right thing =]

Anyway, I need help from the team about this particular one. The price was super low but is missing a bullet starter and the breech remover tool. Easy enough. Biggest question is that will this older breech work with pyrodex pallets, or do i need to use old school gun powder? Not partial to one or the other but dont want to buy a lot if im not into this. Regs will often suggest loose powder which i will abide by, but in IL, you can use pallets. Also, any other sage words would be great (ie how to not end up in the ER on range day). My dad is one of those guys who got really upset with me buying a modern muzzleloader so hes using the defaulted answer of "i dont know how it works".

I have a assortment of bullets for sale to get you started and see what your gun likes.

Also if you plan on using this out West where some places don't allow scopes, sabot, or pellet type powder consider the following.
1. Blackhorn 209 (already mentioned) it is granular and falls under the non smokeless powder requirement.
2. Leupold QD rings and bases. They have a post on the rings and lock down with a lever. In my experience you can remove the scope with a quick twist of the levers and remove it. Your open sights are not blurred by the bases. Put your scope back on with quick twist of the locking levers and your scope is spot on...no change in 0.
3. THOR bullets...basically Barnes all copper bullets with no sabot. Get the sizing pack from THOR and then order what grain suits you. I use the 250gr tipped on elk and deer with 0 issues but have considered upping it to the 300gr for elk.
4. The 209 ignition is the way to go but some states will not allow it so make sure you get the breach plug that will be able to swap out for percussion caps. CVA will help you with that.
5. I don't care what anyone tells you but unless you are using smokeless powder (which you should not be with that rifle) you clean your gun after your done shooting....scrub that bore good and the breach plug!
These are the most important things to remember in my opinion.

I am currently shooting 777 pyrodex loose powder. It shoots fine. I swab the barrel with a lightly misted windex patch followed by a clean patch between shots to keep everything the same. Works well. With loose powder you work up your load to find the sweet spot. That blackhorn is nice, hard to ignite and expensive as hell right now. I like to buy my powder by the pound. If you decide to shoot pellets and are happy with there accuracy, good for you. You may need an improved breech plug for the BH209 due to its difficulty to ignite. Same plug works well with 777. Good luck, make sure you get it clean at the end of the day regardless what you're shooting and enjoy yourself.

Can’t stress enough cleaning! Before storage, Boiling water and dawn soap do just fine with a bronze brush until a clean patch comes out, then oil while it’s still warm.

@Stocker Is a very accomplished muzzleloader aficionado. Hopefully he'll be along to help soon.

Find the nearest river or deep water, throw the muzzleloader into it. Go to church and pray for 30 straight days that God will have mercy on your soul for buying a weapon that was possessed, and designed by demonic spirits. God gave us a rifle cartridge for a reason.

Yes pellets will work. My recommendation is and if you can find it Blackhorn 209. It is not pellets but better than anything I have found.
I heard for blackhorn that I need a different breech plug for a CVA. Any truth to that?

I have a assortment of bullets for sale to get you started and see what your gun likes.

Might take you up on the Hornady….

Find the nearest river or deep water, throw the muzzleloader into it. Go to church and pray for 30 straight days that God will have mercy on your soul for buying a weapon that was possessed, and designed by demonic spirits. God gave us a rifle cartridge for a reason.
I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t try it. But there’s a chance that this post will become a reality.

I heard for blackhorn that I need a different breech plug for a CVA. Any truth to that?
No if it is for a 209 primer but if you are getting a breach plug for a cap you need to enlarge the hole slightly but check with CVA to see if they have one compatible first.

No if it is for a 209 primer but if you are getting a breach plug for a cap you need to enlarge the hole slightly but check with CVA to see if they have one compatible first.
If they ever call back…..

Current plug is for 209 primer and can be taken out with a socket wrench. Needs a bit of cleaning but I think it’ll fire pellets and granulated powder just fine.

Also don't listen to the BS of 209 muzzleloader primers. Use 209 primers that would be used for shotgun shells. They make primers marked 209 muzzleloader primers but it is bs and you will pay more for them and from my understanding they do not burn like a standard 209 primer.

Also don't listen to the BS of 209 muzzleloader primers. Use 209 primers that would be used for shotgun shells. They make primers marked 209 muzzleloader primers but it is bs and you will pay more for them and from my understanding they do not burn like a standard 209 primer.
Good tip, I didn’t know there was a difference .

This thread may not exist if they’d call me back, honestly. This thread taught me more than they have.
Unfortunately that is the norm lately with almost every business. Not necessarily their fault but many businesses are lacking on the customer service side because of lack of employees. They are focused on getting products out the door which is also a task for many businesses. We need to support American business not only with our purchase of their products but also with patience and understanding.

Bastard I was taking a drink just as I opened that reply. Spit all over myself.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back