Muzzleloader Accuracy

THUNDERSTRUCK

Hello fellow Muzzleloader enthusiasts. What caliber and brand gun do you shoot? What grain weight and brand Sabot is your best performer for accuracy and stopping power? What type and grain weight of propellent do you prefer? I just picked up a new 50 Cal. Knight Elite (one of the last ones made) that I plan to work up a load on it this weekend. Thanks for you input

90gr triple 7 loose, on top of a 245gr powerbelt. Gives me around 2" +/- at a 100yards whith my CVA. Not the "hot rod" of muzzleloders, but I think 2" is plenty good enough for me and as far as I can shoot at something here in the woods.

Stick one in a deer and it equals lots of blood and one dead deer. I didn't get any exit wounds though. I shot a couple deer with them last year. One ran about 50-60 yards and the other piled up on the spot. The one that ran looked like he had a garden hose tied to him squiting blood... I shot a couple deer with a 245gr .458 cal Hornady sabot as well, but the accuracy at the range wasn't as good. One doe ran about 50 yards and piled up, another small buck dropped in his tracks with a frontal shot. I found the bullet when I gutted him out. It turned almost completely inside out. On the doe I got complete penitration at about 40-45 yards at a broad side shot.

105 gr of 777 ffg loose and a 295 grain powerbelt for me. Averages around 2" groups for me at 100 yards with open sights. I shoot the TC Omega. The rifle loved the same powder charge combo with a 348 grain powerbelt last summer, averaging around 1" and frequently shot less. When the climate changed and things cooled off, groups went to pot, so I opt to stay with the 295 since it shoots them well no matter the conditions.

Performance on deer has been wonderful with these bullets, although paper punching accuracy does start to go away beyond 150 yards. They have produced One Shot Drop kills for me out to nearly 200.

100gr of pyrex powder with 180gr sabot out of my knight rifle. Shoots 2" groups at 100 yards. I have mine sighted in at 2" high at 100 yards and it hits right at 12" low at 200 yards. Alot of people say the 180 grain bullet is to small but I've never had a problem on whitetail. Allbeit my longest shot so far was 75 yards the bullet past clean through the deer. Last year I shot a big doe at 45 yards she was facing me dead on and I put one in her brisket and it exited just before her back leg. I was wanting to see just how well the bullet expanded but it went all the way through her. Just remember to keep it clean. After 3 maybe 4 shots mine will start to go all over the map.

i heard alot about the 777 powder, but what do you guys mean by loose? i am thinking you mean not in a pellet form, and then i ask myself, why? the pellets are so easy to handle. What are the pro and cons of doing it that way.

You're correct about the loose vs. pellets. The reason I shoot loose is because with pellets you're stuck with nominal increments, and most muzzy's have a sweet spot someplace in between those set increments... I'm not sure what weights you can get them in (the pellets) but I think its 30 and 50g? Either way with 90g which I shoot I couldn't do that with pellets, but I don't know if I could get the same accuracy with them cause I never tried them. I found an accurate load and called it good! I also use caps vs. 209 ignition, which isn't supposed to work with pellets. With the loose powder I don't think its really all that much of a hassle anyway. With a speed loader I just dump it in and ram it home and you're ready to fire again. I dont' think with pellets it would be any faster/easier, but I'm not sure.

Hey bambi...where did you attend school??? Arkansas Community College?

The hippy college I attended in Missoula learned me that 30x3=90...

Sorry man...I couldnt resist... :D

Well my Knight Elite seems to like Powerbelt 245 gr Aerotips backed with 150 gr. Triple Seven. It achieved .75" 3 shot groups at 100 yds. after a little fine tune adjustment. That's as good as my A-bolt 7 Mag w/Boss. We'll have to wait untill Nov. 15th to see how it performs on Whitetails. The 300 gr. T. C. Shockwave Ballistic tip shot well but was nearly impossible to load due to a rather thick sabot. The Barnes MZ Expanders also shot very well and I plan to work on perfecting my groups with this round as well as trying other Barnes rounds my next trip to the range. I think the Barnes Bullets are better quality and achieve better stopping power even though the dameter is much smaller.

BuzzH said:
Hey bambi...where did you attend school??? Arkansas Community College?

The hippy college I attended in Missoula learned me that 30x3=90...

Sorry man...I couldnt resist... :D

Yeah I thought of that right after I posted. :D

I never put much into the pellet thing cause my muzzy won't shoot them

I use 150 grains triple seven, pellets, with a 245 powerbelt bullet,, 1 1/2" group at 100 yards,,I have taken several bull elk with this load. The last bull that I shot was at 200 yards and he pilled up in less that 30 yards, blew clean though him. Shot another bull at 183 yards and he only made it around 20 yards,

This works great for me;
Out of my 50 cal TC Triumph Bone Collector (3 shot groups right at 2" @ 200 yds), economical and super clean to shoot (the powder is a little pricey). Buying the bullets per 100, and Sabots per 50 saves a bunch. Got all mine at Cabelas.

Harvester Crush Rib Sabots (.450 dia)
Hornady® .45 Caliber .451" Diameter XTP Pistol Bullet
Blackhorn 209 Muzzleloading Powder
CCI 209M primers

Hello fellow Muzzleloader enthusiasts. What caliber and brand gun do you shoot? What grain weight and brand Sabot is your best performer for accuracy and stopping power? What type and grain weight of propellent do you prefer? I just picked up a new 50 Cal. Knight Elite (one of the last ones made) that I plan to work up a load on it this weekend. Thanks for you input

For that rifle try 100 grs. of pyro. or 777 along with 285g Barnes Spitfire MZ...it shoots very well out of mine and it's good for anything on the planet. If that dosen't work out please sell that rifle to me :)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back