Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Muzzle brakes

There is a quieter option that still reduces recoil Magna-port. It is not nearly as effective at reducing recoil as a more open brake but does balance noise and recoil.

If you hunt packed in a group a brake isn't the best idea. My preference is to be on my own while hunting big game even if that is just a ridge away from hunting partners and that means I'm only going to bother my hearing.

For hunters who want lots of oomph in a light rifle they make a big difference. Hearing protection is mandatory at my range and I like plugs and muffs even for unbraked rifles. In the field I don't wear hearing protection most of the time, my risk, but I'm sure my hearing is less than great.

I've got some with and some without and don't notice in the field. I would say don't waste much time at the bench since most of us aren't hunting from a bench anyway. I get that there's some range time involved with load development, but after that it's kind of a waste of time IMO.

I'd just buy whatever makes you happy and if you shoot better with the brake then do it. Just protect your ears as much as you can and be mindful of others' ears. Haters gonna hate.

I refuse to hunt with a brake but I have one for my .300 wm if I'm not shooting suppressed. Have one installed but I'd recommend taking it off when you go hunting.

I had a brake put on my 300wsm and love it. The gun is much more comfortable to shoot, thus increasing my enjoyment at the range and also my accuracy with the gun. I'm smart enough to know that it's not enjoyable for others near me, so I make it a point to move away from other shooters at the range. As far as hunting goes, a $4 pair of banded ear plugs is always around my neck. It literally takes 2 seconds to put them on. The reality is, if you're shooting a rifle without plugs, you are causing hearing damage, so it's a good practice to use some sort of hearing protection whether you have a brake or not.

Thinking of getting the barrel threaded that way I can use the brake at the range and take it off for the hunt. The question would be if it will affect POI ?

Thinking of getting the barrel threaded that way I can use the brake at the range and take it off for the hunt. The question would be if it will affect POI ?
Only way to tell is shoot it. I have some heavy recoiling rifles. All naked barrels. Brake or suppressor, there ain't no free lunch. Mine, same POI, every time. mtmuley

Local Gunsmith that I use and he's great makes his own brake its a VLR brake ports are vented slightly forward to reduce muzzle blast, also puts a single hole on top port to control muzzle rise. Good Value on price as well decisions decisions.

I shoot my 300WM with brake at the range, and I take off when I'm hunting. I still put plugs in before I pull the trigger in the field, conditions dictating either way.

I shoot my 300WM with brake at the range, and I take off when I'm hunting. I still put plugs in before I pull the trigger in the field, conditions dictating either way.

Just an extra 25 dollars for the threading- do you notice point of impact changing much with it off when hunting ?

I have not, but I have not shot it extensively on paper both ways. I did one 3 shot group with it off with no discernible change in POI or overall accuracy at 100 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back