Mushroom hunting

Slm864

Any mushroom hunters on here? Morel season is right around the corner. I have certain spots I will check regularly and have had good luck in creek bottoms and near elm tree groves. I enjoy cooking them with some butter and teriyaki. Me and a friend from work pan fried some and put them on elk burgers last year for lunch and turned out great. I’m looking forward to getting out there as another way to not be stuck indoors. It is suppose to be one of the best growing seasons in the past 100 years.

What particular terrain type do you look for to locate them and what’s your favorite way to prepare them?C69842DE-BFEE-42EA-84B2-5E9589522096.jpeg83BAB1A0-012A-4E7C-8696-56BE584BE3E6.jpeg

Any mushroom hunters on here? Morel season is right around the corner. I have certain spots I will check regularly and have had good luck in creek bottoms and near elm tree groves. I enjoy cooking them with some butter and teriyaki. Me and a friend from work pan fried some and put them on elk burgers last year for lunch and turned out great. I’m looking forward to getting out there as another way to not be stuck indoors. It is suppose to be one of the best growing seasons in the past 100 years.

What particular terrain type do you look for to locate them and what’s your favorite way to prepare them?View attachment 132593View attachment 132594
[/1585101996454.jpegelk burger with sautéed morels and onions from a few weeks ago. The morels were dehydrated last year.

Spring gobblers, morels and crappie are my favorite parts of this season.

I tend to spend most of my morel hunting time staying close to depressions and creek bottoms - that has always worked well for me. Anyone looking to get into doing it should focus on slowing down and being methodical, if you find one you will find more. When I take someone new out I have to show them that it isn't a pleasure walk, if you're moving fast oftentimes you will walk right past a lot of them.

I hear we have some in our mountains around Vegas, but I've never seen any. Haha but I've also never gone looking. This year I'm going to try to look for them while shed hunting. I used to find them in Idaho, and sure do miss eating them.

I am hearing that they are finding some just a little south of my area. It's a few weeks earlier than normal and I'm hoping that translates into a longer season.

Morels are starting to pop up in the lower elevations, I suspect the oyster mushrooms are out but I haven't looked yet and I am keeping a close eye on the big fairy ring in my neighbor's yard.

Resized_20200323_185325.jpeg
Southern Ohio from Monday
Will check my early spots this weekend.
20190429_164938.jpg
And yes I find a few
I suspect the weeds are going to outpace the mushrooms because of the mild winter we had here. May be a good year but it is gonna be hard to spot them if stuff keeps greening up as fast as it has the last few days.

ya man, we chase the fire burn areas from the prior season here in the mountains, fun stuff. Dehydrate them or freeze them

Back