MULEY Obsession

Craig S.

I use to be a HUGE elk nut, but over the past several years I have grown a greater obsession for big Muleys! I apply for several states & honestly it's all because I want to hunt Mule Deer more often.

Are there any other MULEY fans here?

I actually like elk better in almost every aspect except hunting. Nothing gets me up the mountain like the hope that a big muley is waiting. I've tried to reason this out, but I don't know why.
I've actually passed a lot of easy shots on elk that I would have been happy to take home. The first thought in my head when I get to full draw on an elk is, "If I release this arrow I will have to take several days off from mule deer hunting."

I have grown up exclusively hunting Muley's. Not claiming to be an expert, but they are our passion! Never had an opportunity to hunt Elk, and with my addictive nature I probably shouldn't.:eek:

All my Muley experiences end up in disaster...so now I WANT THEM BAD!!! They have every aspect of elk hunting with more challenge...AWESOME!!

When I start up the mountain at daybreak and walk over a fresh set of bulls tracks to get into a basin where I might get a glimpse of a good buck, I guess that puts me in a class of a Mule Deer Freak!

Big muleys have my thoughts at least 4 hours a day everyday. I spend a couple of hours looking over maps a couple of times a week. Also a couple of hours averaging hunt statistics in lots of different areas. All in hope of finding the next spot where I will get my hands on the next big muley. My wife says I may be obsessed but I disagree It's all part of the hunt to me.

Hunting elk is fun, but nothing gets my juices flowing and turns my legs to jelly faster than a chance at a nice muley - especially with my bow!

Nothing gets my blood pumping like big mule deer. I caught the fever 40 years ago when my dad took me mule deer hunting for the first time. I've never lost it, Thank God!

Got hooked last year after getting my 1st buck. I used to be a bird man, but after putting hands on my own antlers, well, lets just say I only went on 2 bird hunts this year.

There is something special about hunting muleys. They are just plain fun to try to get in your sights. Never been very successful at it, but can remember every one I ever shot at.

I am glad I am not alone... How many states do you apply for? Do you apply for any tribal land hunts? What type of hunts to you go on in your home state (trophy, general deer, otc, etc.)?

I apply for 4 states & I am going to start applying for an affordable tribal land tag. Typically, I hunt OTC archery deer, because I am waiting to draw a AZ Strip deer tag.

Where i hunt the mule deer walk through town so i prefer to hunt elk, just a little bit more challenging haha
That would be nice you should come to the treasure valley if you drive through town with anything bigger than a forky people applied and bow like you're some kind of deer hunting god

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back