Mule Deer With An Original 1894 Takedown 32-40

shrapnel

Chasing these critters around with old guns and iron sights makes the hunt more worthwhile. I spent the morning spotting for deer and seeing a few. I did get within range of a nice 4 point, but he took off at the last second and went around a hill.

I followed where he went, got distracted and had to go back in search of him. I found this buck bedded and snuck up on him from the downwind side to about 100 yards. I stuck the rifle over the ridge, he caught the movement and stood up. I shot him through the heart and liver with a 180 grain grease groove round nose bullet...

I'll bet that's a fun way to hunt. I've got a couple of "old" levers I need to get out and hunt.

Very nice. What's your load for the 32-40? I have an early 94 sporting that I inherited. It was my grandmother's deer rifle. Would love to get it out.

Very nice. What's your load for the 32-40? I have an early 94 sporting that I inherited. It was my grandmother's deer rifle. Would love to get it out.

I use a 180 grain round nose cast and 16 grains of 5744 powder. It isn't pretty, but it works. I have some other 32 caliber cast bullets that measure .321 and they don't shoot well in this or the other 32-40 I had. This bullet is .325 and shoots great. I talked to Mike about it and he said that the 32-40's he worked with usually had a bore of .322...

I bet that's a nice round. I've been using 4198 & 165's (.322) and getting decent accuracy, but only at the range. I'll pick up some 5744 and give it a try. Thanks, and congrats on a great buck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back