Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Mule Deer Scoring/Pictures

What I've learned to date on looking for inches, on average: fork depth makes or breaks the backs (just about any decent framed buck has serviceable g2's), there's usually no saving score with even one weak main, I wish mass was worth more because it's my favorite, and long brow tines are like free money.

My Kaibab Buck from last Year 184 Gross. I haven't fished in 5 years so not worried bout nets.....LOL.. Tine length and width and # of points get you the most score for a Quick in field score. Mass is the bonusIMG_0803 (4).JPGIMG_0804 (2).JPGIMG_0804 (2).JPGIMG_0804 (2).JPGIMG_0804 (2).JPG . .........BOB

These two were both deceiving, usually I over estimate by 10" These two were bigger than my eyeball said. Both were right at 190 give or take a couple (going from memory not going to dig them out of the pile) As stated above fork depth and Main beam is all you need, and some "free money" can help with any over zealous eyeball inflation.

DSC02464.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

I was going to start a new thread but seeing how this one has stayed pretty tame what are your thoughts on this deer? My limited estimations were,
MB-23” Inside 24”
G2-14”
G3-10”
G4-10”
H1-3.5”
H2-3”
H3-3”
Around 155”, I just guessed his right side since it doesn’t have an eye guard and doubled that instead of trying to guess both sides. If that makes sense.4263BAA6-4889-4EDA-955E-D4FC57470926.jpegB34FF906-37EF-4FDA-8A23-59FDA2B1367D.jpeg15C729C7-095E-4FF4-AB57-D7E0E0D1A34E.jpeg

View attachment 72782View attachment 72783

Probably get a bunch of crap that was mentioned above but oh well... these were 2 bucks I took in back to back seasons. Both are trophys in my book. I also rough scored them for my personal knowledge and to my surprise they were dang near identical. One is narrower but a lot heavier, while the other is a bit wider and has a kicker, that I included in my score. Anyways, both have good forks all the way around in both sides, as will as eye guards. the things that I look for are fork depth, width, and whether it has eye guards. Mass is great, but probably won't be there in a ton of bucks. For what it's worth, the measurement I came up with for these was about 165. If sure if B&C measured them it'd change but I think these bucks can give you a rough estimate. You'll definitely know a 180 if you see one. Hopefully this helps!
Nice Bucks! I love that heavy guy on the left! Nice Work!

I was going to start a new thread but seeing how this one has stayed pretty tame what are your thoughts on this deer? My limited estimations were,
MB-23” Inside 24”
G2-14”
G3-10”
G4-10”
H1-3.5”
H2-3”
H3-3”
Around 155”, I just guessed his right side since it doesn’t have an eye guard and doubled that instead of trying to guess both sides. If that makes sense.

I would guess 150". You also missed H4

Reactions: ZBB
MB-23” Inside 24”
G2-14”
G3-10”
G4-10”
H1-3.5”
H2-3”
H3-3”
Around 155”, I just guessed his right side since it doesn’t have an eye guard and doubled that instead of trying to guess both sides. If that makes sense.View attachment 117558View attachment 117560View attachment 117561
I'd go right around 150 gross as well. Pretty ideal photos for judging, compared to the blurry trail cam pic type stuff.

Reactions: ZBB
I'd go right around 150 gross as well. Pretty ideal photos for judging, compared to the blurry trail cam pic type stuff.
Thanks, I knew I wanted to get several pictures from different angles. Believe it or not these were after I bumped him and a doe in a deep draw, they only went 60 yards or so watched me walk up an open hillside back to my pack. I watched them for 20 minutes or so and figured if I left they’d bed down again. I left and sure enough they needed right there. Got another stalk in, got to 50 yards and came over a couple boulders in the wrong spot and that was that. It was unreal, if I bumped a deer like that in South Dakota he’d be two counties away in short order. Hopefully I can turn him up again in a couple weeks. Thanks for the feedback.

Back