Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mule deer Sausage

Cammy

Shot a small mule deer in Nevada and finally got around to processing it this weekend. Made Brats from a High Mountain kit but added 1 small white onion, 1 green pepper, minced garlic and 3 cups of chopped green onion to the mix. Went for a near 50/50 mix on venison to pork butt and dropped in another 4 pounds of pork fat for a 25 pound batch. Did not use cure as these were vacuumed packed for fresh sausage.
The sausage is dense when cooked and I probably could have added more fat to get the juicy mouth feel that most people expect. Overall these are the best tasting brats I have made so far in my sausage making journey and I continue to learn more each time I do it.

The sausage is dense when cooked and I probably could have added more fat to get the juicy mouth feel that most people expect. Overall these are the best tasting brats I have made so far in my sausage making journey and I continue to learn more each time I do it.

I made some brats out of a feral pig from TX. Turned out similar, dense and not as "juicy" as it didn't have normal fat levels (and I didn't add any) but the taste was excellent - my youngest daughter really liked them

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back