Yeti GOBOX Collection

Mule Deer Hunt ?

ARCAT

My buddy and I are looking for a mule deer hunt for the fall of 05. We'd need a guide most likely, and want a real hunt where you camp out, or at least stay in the mtns. Not in the back of some guys house, in his camper or the local motel. We want to be out, on a hunt. We'd of course like 30 inchers, but a good representative of the species will be fine. We don't care if its in the US or canada. Any ideas?

Try monstermuleys homepage. I think there are quite a few outfitters on the homepage.

Just my two cents.....

The best bang for your over-the-counter buck has got to be south-east Idaho. There are specifed units in SE ID which have a limited number of non-res tags(1200 I think) which are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. They go on sale in early December and usually sell out within a few hours. However, there is good deer hunting to be had in adjacent units that have no non-res quota's. There's no draw either. A non-res tag in ID is around 150 bucks and SE Idaho is known for producing big deer. Plus, Idaho's general deer season is nearly all of October, so you have plenty of season to hunt. I recommend checking out the Worm Mtn/Worm Creek area in unit 73. The bucks in that country are up in the nose-bleed seats if you know what I mean so if you, bring your legs.

The non-res license for Idaho is $128.50 and the actual tag is $235.00. Just wanted to make sure you had the right information. Before you made any plans.

Later,

Just a quick correction to Erik in AK post.
A few years ago the SE tag was sold on a first come first serve basis but has changed. It now has an aplication period open until the end of January.
There will likely be well above average winter kill in the mountains surrounding Montpilier so SE tag may not be the best this year. If you are going to go with an outfitter in Idaho they should be getting the tags for you or there is a good chance that they aren't licensed.

IB and Brian--thanks for keeping me straight. I lived in Mtn home a few years ago and was planning to hunt, and had scouted the Worm Mtn country in early Sep--then 9/11 happened and that pretty much ended my hunting season in 01

I still think the SE corner of ID is a guy of average means' best bet for a 30 inch buck. If a guy can afford an outfitter, well that certainly opens up possibilities.

Cheers
and good luck ARCAT

Were going to have to go guided. My buddy has lots of green, and not much time. He loves to hunt, but has to make every minute count. Thats why its important to be on a real hunt and staying in a camp in the Mtns. He needs no cell pohones, No TV, and just 24 hours of hunting per day.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back