MTN GOAT FEVER

jason ,,,read up a few posts, seems I didn`t post anything any worse then anyone else, but what ever.

buzz, I was just wondering if your goat came from the bitterroot, i wasn`t looking for an exact unit, i can understand you not wanting to say an exact area, since your buddy found it and all. A few years ago i got to fly with a FWP in a helicopter doing a goat count in the spring man was it great, we covered the whole canyons top to bottom all the way no Idaho in no time, saw a lot of goats and bears, it was in the spring so the bears were out in force, what a way to travel!

I thought I would share a goat hunt I took in October 2000. Hopefully the pictures will turnout and show how cool the hunt was.

I drew a tag the first year in the draw, so did a little scouting in August (didn't expect to draw so soon). I saw some goats, but not in big numbers, didn't matter, the scenery made up for it.

Here is a picture of a couple of goats I saw in August. Cheap camera, these two were only about 60 yards from me.

nanny%20and%20kid.jpg

I was talked into going as late as possible to get the best hair. The first couple of days I was a little nervous about the snow, but warmer weather helped out later in the hunt. This is me and my only hunting partner arriving at camp.

Arrival%20at%20basecamp.jpg

Things got a little hairy from time to time. This spot is much steeper than it looks. My partner was stuck for awhile, so I figured I better hunt some safer country since I was alone and a long ways from any road.

stuck%20dog.jpg

I did see some goats in this area, but they were peaks that were inaccessible to me. After two days I pulled out and tried a different spot.

This picture was taken 8 miles into a wilderness area and only about a 1/2 mile and an hour from where I shot my billie. This photo doesn't do justice to how amazing this area was.

goat%20mt1.jpg

Here is picture of my goat where it finally stopped rolling down the wrong side of the mountain.

dead%20goat%201.jpg

I shot him at about 250 yards while he was bedded on a rocky outcropping. The first shot looked like a good hit, but he stood up. I then put another .280 in him and he fell back down. I thought he was done at this point, but was told by another goat hunter to keep shooting until they stop moving. My third shot was a clean miss, but when he was hit with the fourth shot springs shot him into the air and about 300 yards down the wrong side of the mountain.

As you can see from this photo, he lost his tips on the ride down.

dead%20goat%203.jpg

Unfortunately the batteries for my camera went dead at this point, but here is a final picture of him a two days later at the taxidermist. I was long over due for a shower and clean clothes at this point.

tax%20goat1.jpg

I had his horns repaired and with the taxidermists best guess he measured at 9 1/4.

This was by far the most difficult hunt I have ever taken, but would love to have the opportunity (or money) to do it again. Next time I think I will try a little harder to get someone other than my pup join me. ;)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-30-2002 13:24: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

MT,

Cool story. The pics didn't come thru om my
screen, so that was a bummer. Your right about
goat hunting being a tough hunt. When my hunt
was done, my wife was saying my jeans were
alittle loose in the rear end.:D:D

Slayer,

Good luck on the sheep hunt. Don't worry
about eating your tag pal. You've built up
a reputation, and we know you'll put out!:D
Besides, how good can a tag taste? :eek:

Del,

The upper roads in the Westfork,Huckelberry,
and Buck Creek drainages have been closed
during elk season since 1990. I don't have
a problem with it. Too many jokers lined up
at the Rainier Park boundary waiting for the
big snowstorm to drive the elk out. If you
want to get up there now, it's about 5-6
miles of uphill hiking. Theres not too many
elk left up there due to predation and tribal
harvest. You and I hunted the glory days back
in the late 70s thru early 80s. I don't ever
see it getting back to those numbers again.
Its kinda sad.:(

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back