Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MTFWP Commissioners Appointed

406LIFE

There are two new commissioners appointed for the two new districts.

Article here.

"The governor appointed Jana Waller of Florence and Bill Lane of Ismay to serve on the commission to represent Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ Region 2 and Region 7 respectively."

I think it's time to get a ballot initiative together to make these elected officials.

I get the argument that we just need to elect a different governor and the problem is solved, but with all the socioeconomic issues that come ahead of wildlife issues for 90% of MT voters, that's much easier said than done .

I don't know how else you isolate this issue without asking 90% of the state to become single issue voters.

Sometimes internet takes a course of its own.

Is Jana Waller a concern? If so, why?

She's actively vocal for veterans getting into the field, donates more money than most of us towards conservation efforts, positive representation for women in the outdoors, publicly supports public land hunting, etc.

I hope she proves us wrong but from what I saw her supporting during the legislative session, I do not have high hopes. Sustainability seems to be lost on her and that's great if she supports public land hunting (though a great majority of her hunting is on private) but I don't see her supporting sustainable hunting on public lands, I see more landowner freebies and more cow elk hunting in the name of opportunity. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I dont see her and her boyfriend fighting with us public land hunters, I see them fighting against us. Both bashing BHA and other organizations every chance they get.
I am curious how she will deal with criticism since she won't be able to block people in real life.

I think there are much better women who represent women hunters but sadly they don't get the credit they deserve, guess it helps to have a show.

The Commission didn't listen to the people before and they certainly won't now but I just hope the damage won't be too bad....as frustrating as it is.

I think the initial "WTF" reaction is justified, as it is another example of how this administration is trying to steer the ship and what the end goal(s) are.
When you roll up all of the commission members, take a second to review their so-called "experience" and past performance, and ask yourself how this group is truly in the best interest of MT wildlife and management.

Case in point:
Appointments must be made without regard to political affiliation and must be made solely for the wise management of fish, wildlife, and related recreational resources of this state. A person may not be appointed to the commission unless the person is informed or interested and experienced in the subject of fish, wildlife, and recreation and the requirements for the conservation and protection of fish, wildlife, and recreational resources.

A few bits of info on a few of our illustrious Commission members:
Cebull has donated more than $13,000 to Gianforte’s campaigns between 2017 and 2020, according to contribution records on followthemoney.org. Cebull also has served on the Montana Board of Outfitters and on the board and as president of the Montana Outfitters and Guides Association, which has occasionally drawn the anger of resident sportsmen for supporting policies that “privatize Montana’s wildlife.”
In 2008, he founded Nance Resources, Inc., an oil and gas exploration and production company. In 2011, he also headed up GTUIT, a company operating out of Arnegard, N.D., that specializes in capturing and processing flare gas, such as methane, from fracking wells.

Cebull is a board member and former president of the Montana Petroleum Association and regional representative of the Independent Petroleum Association of America.
He is a former president and sits on the board of the Montana chapter of Safari Club International, a Washington, D.C.,-based hunting organization.

KC Walsh donated $7,060 between 2017 and 2019. Walsh, president of Simms Fishing Products in Bozeman, will replace Richard Stuker in District 3, which encompasses north-central Montana. Although Bozeman isn’t in north-central Montana, Walsh is reported to own a ranch on the North Fork of the Musselshell River. Walsh sits on the board of Montana Trout Unlimited but also on the board of the Bozeman-based Property and Environment Research Center, which emphasizes property rights and capitalism when it comes to conservation.

Tabor donated $710 to Gianforte, and his wife, Joanne, donated $540 in June 2020. Hmmm....I am seeing a trend here....

Collectively, this is bad news for Montana's wildlife, hunting/fishing/access and ongoing habitat management. This is a group that will NOT join the DIY hunter/angler "at the table" and look for solutions over the long haul. I will buy the beer if I am wrong.

Adding insult to injury, we have all of this great news to deal with in upcoming seasons: https://outsidebozeman.com/culture/the-new-west/progress-or-paradox

but I don't see her supporting sustainable hunting on public lands, I see more landowner freebies and more cow elk hunting in the name of opportunity. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Thanks for the detail beyond the normal quick comment without any substance. I believe some here believe everyone on hunt talk knows these people or, they don't care other than share with the few who may know... or a smear for sake of?

I read a few interviews on her since learning of her appointment.

"We use both the chip and app religiously since most of my hunting is on public land." - Jana Waller

I don't know of her show, etc though where did you learn she mostly hunts private land?

I would rather have a non politically biased person as a Commissioner for our wildlife though we all know Governors appoint these people... come on. Who is anyone fooling.
I'd rather have a conservation based biologist vs land owner or TV personality who says they are conservation minded, etc.
Same as Randy Newberg. I'd like to see him in a role of this sort or greater in MT... so I wouldn't rule out a TV personality.

The OnXhunt article is pretty good - if true...?

Thanks for the detail beyond the normal quick comment without any substance. I believe some here believe everyone on hunt talk knows these people or, they don't care other than share with the few who may know... or a smear for sake of?

I read a few interviews on her since learning of her appointment.

"We use both the chip and app religiously since most of my hunting is on public land." - Jana Waller

I don't know of her show, etc though where did you learn she mostly hunts private land?

I would rather have a non politically biased person as a Commissioner for our wildlife though we all know Governors appoint these people... come on. Who is anyone fooling.
I'd rather have a conservation based biologist vs land owner or TV personality who says they are conservation minded, etc.
Same as Randy Newberg. I'd like to see him in a role of this sort or greater in MT... so I wouldn't rule out a TV personality.

The OnXhunt article is pretty good - if true...?
Confusing post.? Are you fer her or agan her as FWP Commissioner?

This is what I wrote on a Facebook page dedicated to hunting, fishing, and trapping in Montana, that asked what folks thought of the commission appointments. I received three private messages in which I was referred to as “anti-landowner”, and “just jealous”. 🙄. Anyway….

“The commission has shown itself to be pretty inept thus far. We saw that with the recent sweetheart deals on the Wilkes.

I hold out hope that these two would provide more balance, but I wouldn’t be surprised that it has made it clear to them that increased landowner tags and outfitters set-asides are coming.

The commission is basically a pile of large landowners, outfitters, and now a TV personality. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with individuals in any of those groups necessarily. I know plenty of people in each cohort who are levelheaded and good folks.

That said, most Montanans don’t belong to those cohorts. Where is the representation for the average guy or gal? Where Is the representation for those of us who don’t own large tracts of land and burn boot leather on public ground? They seem to have increasingly less and less say about how our wildlife are managed. Why are the types of hunters that most Montanans are, less spoken for?”

Of course I have real problems with the skewed beliefs of most of these folks, and their positions on hunting antagonistic to mine and that of most hunters in Montana, and to the democratization of hunting in the long run whether they realize it or not. That said, it should not be framed as a liberal or conservative concern, but just a general one of the public, that our representation on this commission is piss poor.

Confusing post.? Are you fer her or agan her as FWP Commissioner?
I'm not for or against, SA. I want to learn about who she is.

I can appreciate the humor posts within threads of funny memes, etc.

Some here are very involved though forget if your looking to gain more people to understand the setting of the person(s) appointed and want to reach more people besides those you know are already in the loop... well?

Share details. Basically what @MTelkHuntress and @Randy11 Shared brings more understanding... especially learning of the SFW influence that is very alarming!

@Straight Arrow , sometimes people here believe people posting must be on one side or the other. It's simply a false sense of bravado or belittling. I personally don't give a rats ass and haven't taken one side or the other.

I come to this site to enjoy people's adventures, share my endeavors, learn from people "in the know" of public issues and input effective comments, learn the conservation setting, and of course - razz you with my awesome Independent political genius insights. ;)

@Nameless Range you and a few others on here are what I miss of Facebook. Thanks for sharing your comment above. Well respected, as usual from most everyone here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back