MT poachers

I doubt they ever valued hunting as a privilege...higher fines and serious jail time is a better deterrent.

I'm with you NHY, these poachers will probably still hunt. Criminals don't obey laws. Those fines imposed were extremely light IMO. Jail time would work best...the Huber law.Let them out to work, and then right back home, in the slammer.

First time I can recall seeing a lifetime ban on hunting privileges. I applaud the judge on that!

We had a "Third Strike" felony wildlife violation in Wyoming, a dumb Thermopolis kid who shot 4 or 5 trophy bucks on the winter range. They don't come any dumber than that guy.He shot 2 bucks just a few days after he left the courtroom on another poaching charge. He was a special kind of stupid.

I think there must have been a plea agreement because some of these bucks look like they would qualify for the trophy class minimum of 160" and that restitution would be 8 grand. I think they got off easy for fines.

Well I'm gonna get mauled I'm sure but I think they did it backwards - fines should have been way way way way higher ( hit them where it hurts , the pocket book) and I truly think the lifetime ban is too harsh --- these people are young , people make mistakes , yes this is awful and I'd like to kick them in the head too , but lifetime ... I was thinking 10-20 year ban. By the time they are in their 40s they should know better ?

Well I'm gonna get mauled I'm sure but I think they did it backwards - fines should have been way way way way higher ( hit them where it hurts , the pocket book) and I truly think the lifetime ban is too harsh --- these people are young , people make mistakes , yes this is awful and I'd like to kick them in the head too , but lifetime ... I was thinking 10-20 year ban. By the time they are in their 40s they should know better ?

As a kid growing up in Western Montana, I saw lots of poaching. It was the norm of the day.

Now in my 50's those same people are still poachers just wise enough that they can't or don't get caught.

Lifetime ban works for me.

The thing that also jumped out to me, reading the article, is where these "kids" live or grew up. I would be willing to bet this is pretty "normal" in this area. Lifetime ban works for me, as well. They should have known that what they were doing was wrong. Time will tell whether they poach (spot light) again in the future.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back