license/permit choices in the identical order on
his/her application. If one or more party member
does not pay the bonus point fee, but the other
members pay the fee, those who have not paid
the fee will be taken out of the party. It is unlawful
to loan or transfer a license to another or to use
a license issued to another.
• Either everyone in the party is successful in
obtaining a license or everyone is unsuccessful.
A party of individuals is assigned one random
number in the computer. If that number is
drawn, each member of the party receives a
permit/license.
• The success rate for applying as a party versus
as an individual is about the same. However, if
a resident applies with a nonresident in a party,
the whole party is considered “nonresident”
because of the 10 percent quota limit on
nonresident licenses and/or permits.
• The maximum number of applicants in a party
is 5 members.

I applied online within the 'Party Draw' and listed a total of 3 members (including myself), first and last name.

Mine involved my DOB/DL/ALS#'s however it did not request the other party members DOB/ALS - etc... The other party members need to apply for the bonus point to be involved in the single draw for all to succeed in the drawing :confused:
Also, they only pay for the bonus point portion?

Someone who has done the MT Party Draw mind helping out please? Thanks.

Sytes- I know there is a lady at the front desk at the fish and game in Missoula that helped a group of hunters put in for the party draw. I overheard some of the conversation and it sounded quite complicated. I plan on using party draw with my dad this year and I think I may just go to the office on Spurgin road to put in for the draw.

Just arrived home and found the following in my personal email account:

ALS NUMBER: -
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
APPLICATION

Party Membership Notice#: AR1733XXXXX-XX
License Drawing Required
License Year: 2014
Provider - Clerk #: 50000 - ES
Session #: I0XXXX - 05/17/2014 - 08:57:14
Party Information
Party Number 1XXX7
Established By CHARLES XXX
Member Name TERREL XXX

ELK B LICENSE
Choice Opportunity Type
FIRST XXX-XX Party
Party members: please use the party #
listed above when you apply.

This seems to clarify some of my questions. One outstanding concern is the following:

If you apply as
a party, each party member must list the identical
license/permit choices in the identical order on
his/her application.

We will all have our 1st choice listed the same for the 'Party' hunt aspect however, If we have different 2nd / 3rd choices as personal preference hunt districts and not associated with hunting together, it appears it will boot out our ability to apply as a party for our 1st choice(?) Example, I did not list a 2nd or 3rd choice, though if one of the participants in the 'party draw' happens to list a 2nd or 3rd district...:confused: If this is the case, are we drawn on an individual basis or completely removed from the drawing?

John, what is that? Price of a movie for 2 and a popcorn? :D
Matt, come monday, if none are able to answer this with a reasonable certainty - I'll call fwp or if opportunity presents, I'll stop in at the office. Thanks.

Last edited:
So as far as I know you will be removed from the drawing. usually the first person to apply is required to enter the names of the other members of the party on the application and it gives you a party number. once you have that party number then all party members use it to apply bringing up everything the same for each member of the party but it sounds like you may have each entered separately which would be better than getting booted out all together.

So as far as I know you will be removed from the drawing. usually the first person to apply is required to enter the names of the other members of the party on the application and it gives you a party number. once you have that party number then all party members use it to apply bringing up everything the same for each member of the party but it sounds like you may have each entered separately which would be better than getting booted out all together.

This is correct. The first person would apply and obtain the party number. Subsequent applicants would enter that number and the system wouldn't allow them to make any choices, they would already be set to whatever the first applicant entered. Just make sure you all do the same thing for bonus points, either all get them or no one as that has to be the same.

Back