Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MT National Forest Parking

rvanbw00

Ive looked around and can't find a clear answer on this topic - must I park/camp in a designated area on National Forest land, or can I pull off the road arbitrarily (wherever safe). Ive looked at a couple spots Id be interested in hunting, but access from a campground is quite a ways away.

Ive looked around and can't find a clear answer on this topic - must I park/camp in a designated area on National Forest land, or can I pull off the road arbitrarily (wherever safe). Ive looked at a couple spots Id be interested in hunting, but access from a campground is quite a ways away.

Typically yes, pick a safe spot and park camp wherever. That said there may be specific high use areas where this isn't the case, e.g. you are often not allowed to camp at trail-heads. Usually there is posted signage for these restrictions and you can always get more info from the USFS website or by calling the local office.

Typically yes, pick a safe spot and park camp wherever. That said there may be specific high use areas where this isn't the case, e.g. you are often not allowed to camp at trail-heads. Usually there is posted signage for these restrictions and you can always get more info from the USFS website or by calling the local office.

What he said. In general, legal activities (camping, hunting, target shooting) are legal anywhere they are not explicitly forbidden. ie if you don't see a sign saying otherwise, you can camp just about anywhere on USFS lands. It is always a good idea to check closures (emergency or otherwise, areas can be closed due to fires, flooding, etc.) on the specific USFS district's website.

I asked this same question to a MT biologist and was told that I could park and camp off road pretty much anywhere within a reasonable distance off road. I specifically asked if 100 ft from a road was a reasonable distance and was told yes. I would call and chat with the local biologist. They are a great resource!

Get a copy of the forest travel map. It will show places where you can't pull into a likely camp spot and set up a tent. Most of the places are high-use The Gallatin canyon is a good example.

"Dispersed camping" designations on the NF MVUMs are probably the best bet, as they have those designations in areas that is generally possible to pull off the road.

Normally it's 200 or 300ft from the road.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back