MT Legislature - Week 10

Liberal hunting seasons in the Bitterroot for 6 years and restrictive lion seasons had as much to do with declining big game numbers as the wolf did.

Agreed, but what can we do about that now? The past biologist should have been fired for his handling of the bitterroot elk herd, not transferred up north. At least he's gone.

mdunc8,

I think the time for pleasant solutions to the wolf problem has passed. It certainly would not be easy to swallow leaving pups to starve, but it would have an effect on the numbers. I think that the 15,000 elk that have been lost in the northern yellowstone herd probably suffered a fair amount themselves, as well as the lost elk and deer in the upper bitterroot and throughout western Montana. Watching wolves kill and feed on still alive animals leaves a person to wonder where exactly "suffering" fits in this scenario. I myself would rather starve to death than be eaten alive. Either way, the whole problem is way past that at this point.

OK, fine. Even if you consider leaving animals to starve to death as ethical, biologists develop management plans with estimated vital rates (i.e., births, deaths, etc.). In the case with wolves, I would imagine they err on the conservative side (although some argue that isn't this case), so they don't end up screwing themselves (and hunters) in the long run. They can accomplish that by building some illegal take into their models or setting quotas lower than what their models indicate are sustainable. Sure, adaptive management allows you to adjust yearly quotas accordingly, but when the USFWS or more importantly, advocacy groups, see an unexpected decline in numbers or recruitment, a %#!^ ton of heat is going to be placed on the state for not being able to manage a controlled hunt. It's also going to make hunters look like a bunch of inbred rednecks if word gets out that people are out illegally shooting pups, females with pups, or harvesting above the quota. If everyone plays by the rules, a managed wolf hunt shouldn't be too difficult. However, if we have a bunch of idiots running around the woods with their own management plans in mind, we'll be right back to where we are today.

mdunc8,

How much room is there between todays wolf numbers and FWS minimun wolf numbers? How long will it take organized wolf seasons to reach acceptable lower wolf numbers? How many elk will be left in western Montana at that point? It certainly wasn't "ethical" the way FWS and the courts have handled this entire wolf issue. Anyone that has ever shot gophers or rock chucks in the spring has orphaned young animals. That's probably most of us on this site. My real point was that when a wildlife management issue gets as out of control as this wolf issue is, then it's time to leave the "feel good" requirements behind and take care of the problem.

Doesnt matter how much room there is for anything. It comes down to responsible stewardship of ALL wildlife.

I agree with you that wolf numbers are well past the minimums, but the plan never was to keep them right at the minimum levels. Everyone with more than a single firing brain cell new the population of wolves would be higher than the required minimums...has to be and in particular when you're hunting surplus animals.

Its an ignorant SOB that would squander a legal opportunity to control wolves via illegal methods or take illegal animals....period. It makes no sense and doesnt promote anything but a disregard for the states wildlife.

Success on this issue rests in the hands of responsibility and legal wolf control.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter how much room there is for anything. It comes down to responsible stewardship of ALL wildlife.

I agree with you that wolf numbers are well past the minimums, but the plan never was to keep them right at the minimum levels. Everyone with more than a single firing brain cell new the population of wolves would be higher than the required minimums...has to be and in particular when you're hunting surplus animals.

Its an ignorant SOB that would squander a legal opportunity to control wolves via illegal methods or take illegal animals....period. It makes no sense and doesnt promote anything but a disregard for the states wildlife.

Success on this issue rests in the hands of responsibility and legal wolf control.

Geez, How do you live such a shielded life that you can come up with such naive, idealistic crap like this. You should go into politics full time. You certainly have the mindset for it.

Liberal hunting seasons in the Bitterroot for 6 years and restrictive lion seasons had as much to do with declining big game numbers as the wolf did.

Maybe if we go the complete other way and shoot lions on site, things will turn around:mad:. From one extreme to the other. Someday I hope biology 101 dictates wildlife mgmt....predator/prey relationships, Carrying capacity, The North American Model Of Wildlife Conserva:eek:. ....OK I woke back up.

Ben, I have been called an "ethical sportsman" a time or two, but given a legal wolf tag I wouldn't hesitate a second to kill a female with pups. In fact, I would make it a priority, if possible.

Would you shoot a sow black bear that had 3 visible cubs, in an area where elk numbers are low?
Just curious..

Would you shoot a sow black bear that had 3 visible cubs, in an area where elk numbers are low?
Just curious..

Ouch, that one hurts. I am aware of the impact of black bears on elk calves, but I'm not aware of any areas where the total number of black bears is way over the objective number. For that reason, I would say "No" I would not shoot such a sow. However, I would have no problem using my bear tag in an area like that.

Maybe if we go the complete other way and shoot lions on site, things will turn around:mad:. From one extreme to the other. Someday I hope biology 101 dictates wildlife mgmt....predator/prey relationships, Carrying capacity, The North American Model Of Wildlife Conserva:eek:. ....OK I woke back up.

Somewhere between restrictive and killin the crap out of them works for me.

But then thats just me.

Ouch, that one hurts. I am aware of the impact of black bears on elk calves, but I'm not aware of any areas where the total number of black bears is way over the objective number. For that reason, I would say "No" I would not shoot such a sow. However, I would have no problem using my bear tag in an area like that.

There are no objective numbers for Black bears in given HD's that I"m aware of.

Lets say that the Griz are delisted, and you have a legal Griz license. Knowing that they are more responsible for calf deaths, than wolves, and just as over objective as wolves are, If given the chance would you shoot a Griz sow, with 3 cubs if given the chance? I mean as far as helping calf elk mortality, you would be far more ahead than killing a wolf mom.

Every time a supposed sportsman makes a statement, that he'll kill female wolves with young, you do the wolf lovers a service. How else can they raise the $30,000,000 they need for all the court cases?:W:

HB 286 was just crushed by the House 22-78.

This bill would have caused a diversion of PR/DJ monies and forced hunters and anglers to pay Wildlife Services to kill coyotes for sheep producers.

Galen Hollenbaugh D-Helena (my rep) stood up for hunters and anglers today and helped get this bill killed.

Write him and send a hearty thanks.

I know folks are tired and feeling beat up, but I cannot stress enough that your voice is being heard, and we will continue be a force. This is a big win folks. We continue to gain ground and we continue to light up the emails and phones.

Keep fighting.

There are no objective numbers for Black bears in given HD's that I"m aware of.

Lets say that the Griz are delisted, and you have a legal Griz license. Knowing that they are more responsible for calf deaths, than wolves, and just as over objective as wolves are, If given the chance would you shoot a Griz sow, with 3 cubs if given the chance? I mean as far as helping calf elk mortality, you would be far more ahead than killing a wolf mom.

Every time a supposed sportsman makes a statement, that he'll kill female wolves with young, you do the wolf lovers a service. How else can they raise the $30,000,000 they need for all the court cases?:W:
It keeps me up at night worrying about offending the wolf lovers. Come on SS! When has it ever been legal to kill a bear with cubs in Mt.? I did say "legal wolf tag" originally, and this was all in regards to what Ben said about them removing the "female wolf with pups" from the bill. Also, check your facts before making statements like the above one regarding the excess of grizzlies compared to wolves. They're not in the same league. By the way, you haven't explaned your previous post.

HB 286 was just crushed by the House 22-78.

This bill would have caused a diversion of PR/DJ monies and forced hunters and anglers to pay Wildlife Services to kill coyotes for sheep producers.

Galen Hollenbaugh D-Helena (my rep) stood up for hunters and anglers today and helped get this bill killed.

Write him and send a hearty thanks.

I know folks are tired and feeling beat up, but I cannot stress enough that your voice is being heard, and we will continue be a force. This is a big win folks. We continue to gain ground and we continue to light up the emails and phones.

Keep fighting.

Do you have the named vote count on that? I would like to see our local guys on that. Only fair for me to right a deserved "thank you" if they helped vote that down. I have sent enough negative emails.

drahthaar, click on the bill then click on the vote count and you can see who voted how.

[QUOTE\ ]I know folks are tired and feeling beat up, but I cannot stress enough that your voice is being heard, and we will continue be a force. This is a big win folks. We continue to gain ground and we continue to light up the emails and phones.

Keep fighting.[/QUOTE]

We are still with ya Ben, right to the damn end!

Back