Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT Goat Scouting

thecrittergitter

Well its tough bouncing my scouting efforts between moose and mountain goat (I know, you feel real bad right:)) but had a great weekend with a couple buddies looking for goats. We ended up seeing lots of great country, getting a nice rain shower in, and best of all, found two billies that are on the hit list already....:) I'm going to keep looking for more but its nice to have two that are shooters for sure figured out already.

Some pics of the weekend....

Attachments

• Glassin.jpg
    Glassin.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 660
  • Big young one.jpg
    Big young one.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 659
  • Ben n fettig.jpg
    Ben n fettig.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 660
  • Ben Ski.jpg
    Ben Ski.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Goat 1.jpg
    Goat 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Goat 2.jpg
    Goat 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Spotting.jpg
    Spotting.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Stone Glacier.jpg
    Stone Glacier.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 662
  • Goat 5.jpg
    Goat 5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 659
  • Goat 4.jpg
    Goat 4.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 654
  • Matt n Matt.jpg
    Matt n Matt.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 664
  • Warming up.jpg
    Warming up.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 657
  • Rubbing head.jpg
    Rubbing head.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Nanny n kid.jpg
    Nanny n kid.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 661
  • Looks good.jpg
    Looks good.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 660
Those are great photos. You are going to have another epic season. What are your season dates for the two? Are you going to try either with a bow?

Those are great photos. You are going to have another epic season. What are your season dates for the two? Are you going to try either with a bow?

Goat starts Sept 1 but I'm not planning on hunting them till October for hair. Moose starts Sept 15. I'm going to try for both with the bow, but will have a rifle attached to the pack at all times. Really want to kill with the bow but not going to let a likely once in a lifetime opportunity slip away just because I cant get inside 50 yards:)

Nice pics, how do you like the Access pocket on your SG Solo? I was thinking of getting one for my Terminus. Does it work pretty well when putting gear between the main bag and the Access? Kind like a Grab IT w/a pocket ability?

You are on the right mountain for a good Billy in that HD. Good luck on the hunt.

I am excited for more pictures. No Goat tag (or hunt) for me this year...

Crittergitter,

Good luck on the goat tag, I to have a tag for goats in my pack. Sounds like we have a similar game plan, I will try to get it done with a bow but will have my "long bow" in tow if needed.

I would like to know more about your pack. What do you like/dislike. What have you used in the past and why did you switch. Is it comfortable to pack, will you be able to get your gear plus meat out without killing you and the pack. Now that you've used it a bit, would you buy this company and this pack again.

Matt -

It looks like we may be scouting the same unit. My wife has a tag and we are scrambling to find her spots to hunt since she will be 5 months pregnant in september. PM coming.

It might be easier to answer all the questions at one time here.

First thing is no there was no digiscope attachment, this is all with me literally holding my cell phone up to the spotter and taking the picture:) Cheezy, but works good enough.

As far as the pack goes, absolutely loving it so far! I've been a MR guy for years and still agree they make a fantastic pack but you will likely be seeing me with this one from now on. So much nicer being able to access stuff in the pack without unbuckling your entire load. As for the weight it will pack, I guarantee you that you can put more weight in it than you can physically carry and not stress the pack. The solo pack I have separates from the frame when you kill an animal and there is a load shelf already inbetween. So you can carry all your camp and normal stuff in the pack itself, then that bag just slides out and the meat goes in behind it. I did 17.6 miles this weekend in some pretty rugged country with mine and there wasn't one part of me that was sore or worn down (except my feet, but that had noting to do with the pack:)) The access pocket you see is perfect for strapping anything between it and the main bag, plus I stored my food in it so it was super easy to get to to a snack when I wanted it. No unbuckling of the entire pack like the Crew Cab.

Plus, for me, the guy who developed this pack, Kurt Racicit is a great guy and I like to support the small guys any time I can. The fact that he is making a superb product is just the bonus for me.

So far, with it being lighter, but just as strong as my MR, this is going to be my go to pack every time until something comes up that I don't like..........but so far, been the best pack I've owned!

Carl on this site may have some additional review as he shot his goat with his last year I believe and packed out a 117 lb load on his!!

Matt -

It looks like we may be scouting the same unit. My wife has a tag and we are scrambling to find her spots to hunt since she will be 5 months pregnant in september. PM coming.

Yikes!! I'll let you know if I find any that are standing by the road;)

Best of luck to you and her, you will still have a blast!

Nice!

What's the scoop on that pack people are asking about? I'm getting my wife a pack so she can carry me up the hill and my game down the hill! I'll probably get her the Metcalf but now I'm curious.

I need to catch up on the goat scouting. Season is right around the corner!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back