Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Elk Hunt

If your hell bent on the saphires, I would look around the sleeping child area. Otherwise for a great first time hunt go to the bighole valley.

Well, the Sapphires appear to be challenging! (grin) I enjoy a good challenge! We'll give it our best shot!

biggamehunter, maybe we'll see you around if you choose there!

ElkNut1

Funny you should ask! My Son & I were invited up by TwoBears Outfitting to check their area out. We are going into their area on a DIY hunt, so we are on our own there which is the way we like it. The plus is they will pack out any elk we get down so that's cool!!

Are you or any others familiar with this Outfit?

ElkNut1

Elk nut- no I don't know the outfit and I've really never hunted that area. Just today I did make a 15 mile loop on a horse through their area. Saw lots of mule buck but they are special tag. Did not see any elk but I was probably too low. That country has been intensely roared and logged as far as I could see.

Elk nut- no I don't know the outfit and I've really never hunted that area. Just today I did make a 15 mile loop on a horse through their area. Saw lots of mule buck but they are special tag. Did not see any elk but I was probably too low. That country has been intensely roared and logged as far as I could see.

At one time it was outstanding. The roading, logging, and fires have taken their toll on the area. In 1963 my dad killed a bull that scored 379 gross in there. Those days are long gone. I was in there last week, and found lots of ticks.

You will find elk. One day they'll be there and then gone. That's the nature of the beast. Lots of hunters, of both the 4 legged, and 2 legged variety.

Ya, it's a smaller outfit, never been there before but I will know more this year! (grin) I'll do my homework for sure & most likely be bivy hunting for several days at a time. Being from Idaho I'm all too familiar with the 4 legged critters as well! We still get'r done but we work our rear off for them every year! Thanks & good luck in your decision biggamehunter!

ElkNut1

Good luck in that area Paul. you guys certainly get the job done... and if anyone can do it, its probably you guys, but there are certainly better options. Prettier country, more elk...etc...

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the helpful tips. I will definitely be PM-ing a few of you on the areas you suggested for a little more help. Thanks in advance...really appreciated it!!!

I saw that he was on the other day and wrote him with the same question but got no reply. I was curious if he could pull a rabbit out of his hat over that country as well. Maybe you guys don't allow enough atv's. I hear some of the Bitterooters are all hopped up on Wilderness only areas. ;):)

Just received my tags in the mail for NR MT Elk Combo - was planning on hitting up Saphires due to my experience and familiarity of that country from my time stationed in the BNF up there- looks like the elk herd numbers are not where they used to be- is it as bad as it sounds? I'm a backcountry hunter and hike in and pack out my wins- any recent feedback on the area would be helpful

Back