MT ELK 314 Emigrant

SWMontana1

I got permission to go through some private land by Emigrant to get to the checker boarded mess of national forest land back kind of by Hyalite. The landowner, a woman, said the elk have been bulgling and I have no reason not to believe her. I called a couple of the ranches because of the checkerboarding/corner hopping issue and they said they do not enforce it and are not worried about it. Both ranches also told me there are TONS of hunters that come from a private subdivision up high and each ranch is gearing up for their guide season and they were back there a week or so ago checking on cattle and didn't see any animals... so basically LOTS of hunters and no elk. Would love to talk to someone that knows a bit more about the Emigrant area, the ranches, elk, etc... would love to know if it's even worth heading up there

You have permission, a tag in the pocket, why the hesitation to not go pound dirt and wear
the soles down on your boots to learn about the elk.

You're going to believe what hunting guides reported? I had a guide tell me this year the Gravelly Range was absolutely infested with grizzly bears, and we needed to be REALLY careful hunting elk there. Whatever.

You have a tag, and permission. Go hunt.

If you have permission and access, then begin exploring the neighborhood and scouting. I would be surprised if you did not find elk in that area if you seriously hunt.

You're going to believe what hunting guides reported? I had a guide tell me this year the Gravelly Range was absolutely infested with grizzly bears, and we needed to be REALLY careful hunting elk there.

That's inaccurate how?

That's inaccurate how?

Agreed! That's a very accurate statement.... I spend a lot of time up there, and this spring I hunted it 7 days for bears. Seen bears everyday, and filmed 5 griz in that time period. You may want to listen to that "guides" advice...

Agreed! That's a very accurate statement.... I spend a lot of time up there, and this spring I hunted it 7 days for bears. Seen bears everyday, and filmed 5 griz in that time period. You may want to listen to that "guides" advice...

Because he acted like we were going to be drug out of our tents and eaten. I've hunted the Absoraka Bearthooth, Scapegoat and Bob Marshall where we had griz going by our tents every night. I've backpacked in Glacier Park and Yellowstone. I'm no stranger to them.

I know there are griz in the Gravellies too. It was clear to me though, that he was playing it up in an effort to try and deter us from camping there and hunting the drainage he had his client in.

Being careful is one thing, trying to instill paranioa is another.

Because he acted like we were going to be drug out of our tents and eaten. I've hunted the Absoraka Bearthooth, Scapegoat and Bob Marshall where we had griz going by our tents every night. I've backpacked in Glacier Park and Yellowstone. I'm no stranger to them.

I know there are griz in the Gravellies too. It was clear to me though, that he was playing it up in an effort to try and deter us from camping there and hunting the drainage he had his client in.

Being careful is one thing, trying to instill paranioa is another.

I see what your saying! You're absolutely right....I just thought you were saying he was full of $h!t about the bears. There are griz around, but I haven't had a problem with them. I camped right where the highest population in the gravellies is located and never had a problem. Just be aware. Goodluck on your hunt up there!

I know he wasn't full of crap. I killed an elk very close to where a guy shot a griz in self defense a couple of years ago. I have no doubt he was trying to play it up given the fact he saw my Washington plates. I'd bet a steak dinner I have a hell of a lot more griz experience than this guy does.

Interestingly enough, in seven days of hunting the upper Ruby, with countless miles of hiking, hours of glassing, and time spent before and after dark, we never saw a griz or wolf, never saw a track, and never heard a howl. Maybe Montana isn't just a predator pit.

Guides don't usually hunt areas void of game. Up here they are getting in the habit of not allowing gps for their clients.

Go check it out you have nothing to lose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back