Caribou Gear

MT ATV regs

Bulldog0156

I'm looking into picking up an ATV this fall to use for hunting/ice fishing. My primary purpose during hunting season would be using it for accessing roads (gravel county roads and in the breaks) that get sloppy when wet so that I don't get my car stuck. The way I read the state regulations, I would need a motorcycle endorsement and accessories to make the ATV street legal. I don't mind buying the accessories to make it street legal, but the motorcycle endorsement to ride an ATV on county maintained gravel roads seems a little ridiculous. Can anyone tell me if I am indeed reading the rules correctly or am I wrong?

If its a maintained road that is open to other traffic, I think you may be right. vehicle needs to be street legal, and you may need the endorsement. Been a long time since I've looked though. Had the motorcycle endorsement since I was 15, so I've never worried about it. And this is the first year I've use a motorcycle on any forest service / BLM roads.

I've had the ATV endorsement for years , which was mandatory if you lacked the motorcycle endorsement, but at my last DL renewal, the examiner told me Montana has dropped all of that and now all that is required is a regular DL. That's my understanding the last time I inquired two yrs. ago so it may have changed again.

So my understanding of the regulations on the CMR is that your ATV must be licensed and street legal and the road that you are on must be numbered. But you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride the ATV. In Montana you can get permanent license for your ATV. No off road use on CMR.

My dad just finished getting his street legal. He drives his around all over the place. He didnt say anything about needing to get his motorcycle endorsement. I should call him and ask him for sure and have him look into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back