Caribou Gear Tarp

MT application, not wanting the tag?

I have zero pref pts. If I chose to not participate at all, now, I can still buy a pref point AND a BP later on?

Just trying to be certain on my chioices as I want to gain 1 pref point and one BP this year bit do ot want to draw till next year.

I was gonna apply and opt in on point now to get me to one and thus not be in the random, but no sense forking over tag fees now…LOL MT loves and hates nonres all at once with this scam schema
According to the link I posted yes.

Attachments

• B56DF6DD-1BF5-4ACC-B7AB-0199C15FF24E.jpeg
    B56DF6DD-1BF5-4ACC-B7AB-0199C15FF24E.jpeg
    894.6 KB · Views: 3
It seems as though they set it up to give outfitted hunters the possibility of having 3 which guarantees them the top of the list. DIY would most likely draw at 2 but the only possible way for them to acquire 3 would be to somehow not draw with 2. Not likely to not draw with two but with outfitted hunters acquiring 3 and the increased demand, very well could happen in some upcoming years

If you apply and opt out now, you can buy one in summer and opt in on 2024 app and go into 2024 draw with 2. If you don’t apply in 2023, you lose any accumulated but can buy one in 2023 summer, then you could opt in in 2024 and go into draw with 2
This is not true. If he applies now 23 he CANT buy a point in the summer. Doesn't matter if you buy a point a not. If you apply for a combination you CANT buy a point.

No sense in applying and buying a point now if you don't want to hunt. Just don't apply and buy 1 in the summer of 23 and one when he applies in 24 thus giving him 2.

The Montana system for pref points really isn't as hard as people make it as far as applying.

Person has 0 pref points
Spring 2023 they decide to apply so they buy a point at the time of application they have 1 pref point. THEY CANT buy a point in summer of 2023.

Spring 2024 they apply again and buy a pref point thus going into draw with 2 pref points.

Same thing in 25 if they don't draw and they will have 3. You cant carry more than 3.

You get a point in 23 and DONT apply in 24 you LOSE your point.

So simply you need to apply for a combination license every year or your lose your point. And you can only buy 1point a year. Unless going outfitted.

Where it gets confusing or really crappy is with group apps. Say you and your hunting group apply with 2pref points and DONT draw. Your group app gets split up and then when they re issue the general tags that get turned back in bc someone doesn't draw their LE they use the pref points to award those. So there is a possibility some of the group gets tags and some won't.

Yeah I missed it. If you sit down and read it while planning, you can usually get it figured out. It is one of the murkiest systems of all the western states though. Haha.

And on the Alternate list thing, it actually has zero bearing on preference points. It’s a randomized system and you don’t lose your points if you are chosen. It does split your group app up though.

I have zero pref pts. If I chose to not participate at all, now, I can still buy a pref point AND a BP later on?

Just trying to be certain on my chioices as I want to gain 1 pref point and one BP this year bit do ot want to draw till next year.

I was gonna apply and opt in on point now to get me to one and thus not be in the random, but no sense forking over tag fees now…LOL MT loves and hates nonres all at once with this scam schema
Correct, skip the spring draw then buy both a preference point for the combo and bonus points for the species in the summer. Then buy another preference point in the spring of 2024 as you apply for the combo.

For those making plans for '24 remember 2 points is a good shot but won't be guaranteed. I was in the pool in '22 for BGC with 2 points. 3% of us didn't draw. That number is going to continue to grow as the system continues to be flooded with applicants.

I chose not to buy a point, thinking I would just buy one in July. When I went to buy one I couldn't, because I opted out at the time of application. Not sure if it makes a difference or not that I'm a resident.

I chose not to buy a point, thinking I would just buy one in July. When I went to buy one I couldn't, because I opted out at the time of application. Not sure if it makes a difference or not that I'm a resident.
If you apply, you are ineligible to buy points during the points only period.

I bet 2 is 100% this year
You are underestimating the point buyers who just bought a point in '22 and will buy another at time of app. That is the missing variable in the 12,000+ in line from last year + the 0pt allocation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_154526_Calculator.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_154526_Calculator.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 15
You are underestimating the point buyers who just bought a point in '22 and will buy another at time of app. That is the missing variable in the 12,000+ in line from last year + the 0pt allocation
Ok . Where did you get that number from ? The number that bought a point last year ?

You’re more than likely correct I haven’t been keeping up on things like I usually do . Don’t give a crap if I draw or not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back