Caribou Gear

MR Crew Cab users.

chuck

What accessories do you guys use most with yours? Or I guess how would you set one up? Do you use the load cells or long pockets much? I'm thinking of just buying the bag and then adding stuff later or will I regret not getting it all right off the bat.

I have the frame and a daypack lid from other bags I have.

Welcome, chuck!

I didn't get the cells with my MRCC. Instead, I purchased a couple dry-sack compression bags and use those. I packed in for a backcountry CO archery elk trip this year and had no problems taking 8 days/nights worth of clothes, food and gear. I think you just need to lay out all the things you want to take with you and then figure out what type of containment you want to use -- that could be cells/lid or a combo of that along with other things or something completely different altogether. Bottom line...you can't go wrong with their NICE frame and the crew cab bag (or even their bigger bags).

Thanks.

I do have one of their bigger bags and a Longbow but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a crew cab with it's load hauling capabilities. Especially for day jaunts.

From what I have seen, the Longbow is a smaller, longer version of the CC; but with less room. Either one can be used for dayhunts. You pack in light and hopfully pack meat out stuffed between the frame and the pack on the LB and in the space in the middle of the CC. For dayhunting they are both equally well suited. I wouldn't get a CC for dayhunting if I already had a LB.

IMO the CC's advantage is being able to bring more gear in (like a camp) and being able to pack more weight out (the heavy boned out meat in the center and what gear you can fit in the side pockets).

For pictures of how to set them up do a poster search on Greenhorn and look at all the pictures he has put up on all the stuff he's done with his. I think he's experimenting with a LB as well this season so maybe he'll give you his report after the seasons over.

Regardless of which you have, you can't go wrong w/a MR pack.......

I'm using the LB now and this Is how I have set it up. I've since replaced the extra bag pictured with a SILdry bag and have set it up to put straps over the top.

P1080060.jpg

P1080062.jpg

The only thing I've added to mine is a flip top box on the hip belt. I have only used my crew cab for day hunts so I haven't tried packing a camp, etc. with it. I've got a 6500 that I bought for the extended outings. I'm not sure I'd invest in a crew cab if I had a longbow. In fact I'm considering picking up either a big sky or the bighorn as an extra pack for those in between trips.

Cents0959.jpg

THis is mine loaded with top pack and load cells.. it wasn't at all full, only about 50# of gear for an 8 day hunt. The last two days were a little snowy....

This is it as I'm hunting...just the bare bones crew cab, no accessories...it seemed to work real nice, but didn't help me put an elk down!:confused:
Cents09.jpg

OK...not the best pic of it as a lightweight...

By the way...I liked the load cells... they worked great as bags around camp to keep food in, extra gear, etc... tiny bit heavier than other options, but rugged and sweet handles and such....

That is a sweet looking wallow!! Sorry it distracted me from looking at the pack:D My mind is still on elk and I haven't connected yet either:mad:

That was a sweet wallow! unfortunately...it wasn't used once in the 8 days I was there! There were 3 more bigger wallows adjacent to this one...

I am going to go chase the bastards in the cold this weekend with a bow... not really looking forward to it! :0(

Back