MR "BackPack" Bag Question

JMG

This question may have been asked already, but when I read the past threads, I too am still undecided and/or confused. I have questions, maybe some can offer some good advice/answers.

1) I have a Mystery Ranch (MR) Crew Cab w/ the NICE frame and I am trying to determine which bag would be best for (at most) a 3 to 5 day back packing trip (strictly backpacking). The 6500 seems too large. Which bag is more applicable and why?

2) How do you pack your MR back pack (sleeping bag, clothes, etc.). Do you put them in individual bags then pack these into the back pack? Where would you purchase these ("bags") accessories?

Thank you.

My recommendation is to get the 6500. It's not too big, and compresses down very small. I use mine regularly as a carry on bag, and as a general day pack. The new Metcalf, would be a decent option as well, but if you ever go on longer trips you'll wish you had a bigger bag I think? I usually get by for 7-10day with about 5500-6000cu of space including all food and hunting gear.

Don't waste the money on load cells... its just extra weight. The only thing I use mine for are ditty bags when truck camping or on fly out trips. The pilots love them.

My cc works for what you describe. That being said, I just picked up a Metcalf a couple days ago. I really like OR dry sacks for bag and clothes.

I have the CC + 3 load cells. I use them for both backpacking and truck camping, and it works great. If I was concerned about weight I would swap for UL dry sacks. The load cells are nice in that they take a nice rectangular shape when full and make packing a tad easier. Either way, when going on 3day trip, I've got one bag that holds my sleeping bag, one for some clothes and junk, one for food and cooking gear. These should all fit in the center of the bag plus your sleeping pad.

If its hunting season, then my hunting essentials are in the daypack lid. I drop my bag in some likely camping location, GPS it, hang my food in a tree, take the lid off and go hunting.

I like the modular system, while some prefer a 1-compartment backpack. I live in Colorado where it is typically dry, but if I were in AK I would likely be considering the 6500.

good luck.

If it were me....I would get the Metcalf. It's a great bag, has functional shoulder lift, and is plenty big.

I was able to load it with: Six Man Tipi, carbon fiber poles, Lil Bug Out Base/Nest,sleeping bag/neoair/pillow, Vortex 80mm spotter, Manfrotto tripod, Softshell Jacket, base layers, stove/cookware, water filter, ammunition, emergency kit, and the other typical odds and ends.

Back