Moving to a one gun battery (maybe)

A serious hunter needs two. You never know when a scope, etc will go out on you.
My main rifles are:

Mark V WBY 300
Mark V WBY 257 Ultralight

They are sighted in very similar and work the same. No extra thinking required from one to the other.

Other option is to get switchbarrel set up... same stock, action, scope, trigger... just screw in and out different barrels.

I have gun set up with Short action with 22-250, 7mm-08, and 338 Sherman Short Magnum barrels. Check out West Texas Ordnance if interested.

I'm ok with only one women in my life but only one rifle wouldn't work well for me. My biggest problem is that it is always nice to have a backup gun. I've brought a back up gun on every hunt I've been on the last 5 years and it is nice to have just incase I take a fall and "bump the scope". I've had a bumped scope mess up my hunt in the past. It is also fun to have multiple rifles. For high volume shooting it is much more pleasurable to shoot a 223 than my 300 win mag. I've shot prairie dogs with my 338 lapua, but it is much more economical and enjoyable to shoot a lighter gun like one of my 223's, 22-250 or 6mm Creedmoor. I know I could kill an elk with my 6 mm Creedmoor but I don't ever plan on taking it on an elk hunt.

The older that I get, the fewer rifles that I feel like I need, BUT it never works out that way. I just traded some unwanted pistols for a Winchester .270 and bought another Criterion Creedmoor barrel, because it was too good of a deal to pass up. NOW, I am awaiting the delivery (Tuesday), of a Model 700 ADL, to put the new barrel on. The circle never stops! lol. I always figured I needed two rifles at least, to take on out-of-state hunts, so that I would not be left high and dry. I don't do that much anymore, but I cannot seem to break the addiction to designing loads for another rifle.:cool:

Anyone who says the .280Rem won’t fill the bill for you doesn’t know what they’re talking.

As a person who owns a switch barrel, while they save you a scope and a stock, they do not simplify your life in any way. They either complicate things significantly, or end up just being one gun you like and an extra barrel in the closet taking up space.

My 280ai has killed whitetails, mule deer, antelope, Bighorn sheep, black bears and elk. I’ll add another Bighorn this year with Mountain Goat and moose in the future. I never feel under or overgunned.

Back