Caribou Gear Tarp

Moving scope positions

Hertervillian

For better or worse I’ve settled on QR rings and Piccatinny rails. My question is this. Can I move the scope back in winter and forward in summertime to account for clothing without POI issues?

For better or worse I’ve settled on QR rings and Piccatinny rails. My question is this. Can I move the scope back in winter and forward in summertime to account for clothing without POI issues?

I would think that you would want to verify POI if you move the scope.

Depends on what level of accuracy you are looking for. You can move optics front to back a bit a tremendous change in POI, but I bet you'll see a change of up to an inch or so at 100 yards. The higher the mechanical offset the more pronounced it will be.

It may not change it much, but I wouldn't trust it without verification

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't wrap a confidence quotient around quick release mounts. That and changing positions would drive me crazy.

I will certainly verify 0

just one of those what if questions that crawls around my head.
As to repeatability I’ve used the Warne system for 8 years on one rifle having had it on and off at least 100 times. The zero stays put as well or better than my skills. It might be that >400yd shots suffer, unlikely I’ll ever know.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't wrap a confidence quotient around quick release mounts. That and changing positions would drive me crazy.

I agree. My only experience with that set up was with Ruger QR rings on my 375 and they didn't hold up.

I have an american defense quick release mount on my AR-10. I have taken the mount on and off a few time and the point of impact shift is minimal at worst. I always put it back in the same place so I can't speak to moving if fore and aft. It does have 20 MOA of cant built into it. I have been happy with that setup. I think you will have better luck with a mount where as you note the whole mount moves rather than loosing a set of rings and sliding the scope back and forth.

From summer shooting to all bulked up for winter, on my hunting rifles I do not move my scope, (Personal preference) I just try and get my head in the same spot every time.

I’ve never used quick release mounts, but I did just move the scope forward about a half inch on one my rifles (w/ Talley Lightweight mounts) for better eye relief, and the POI shift was less than an inch at 100.

I’ve never used quick release mounts, but I did just move the scope forward about a half inch on one my rifles (w/ Talley Lightweight mounts) for better eye relief, and the POI shift was less than an inch at 100.
Thanks good to know, as that’s about as far as I’d be going.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back