Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mountain bucks from the past (but not from the Rockies)

DRS

Thought I'd share some of my late Dad's old photos of deer hunting in the Blue Ridge mountains of western NC. Back then you had to draw a deer lic. that was only good for 3 days.

This is a 9 pointer he killed in 1951.
IMG_1894.jpg

In this pic my Dad is on the left with a non-typical buck he killed in the same area in 1953.
IMG_1893.jpg

This is a 10 pointer he killed in either 1960 or 1961. The sharped dressed fella with the black hat and gray coat is me ready to go to Sunday School.
Photo3C.jpg
Photo4C.jpg

Those are really cool photos! Too bad my family was never much of a photo taker, those would be nice to have.

sweet--what rifle was he toting? do you still have it?

The rifle in the top 2 photos is a sporterized 1917 Enfield with a 4X weaver scope. He had it rechambered to 300 Win in the early 1960s. I have it but now it has a newer Burris 3 - 9 scope.

The rifle in the bottom 2 photos is a Rem 721 in 300 H&H be bought in 1954 with a 4X Weaver scope. My brother has it now. It currently has a 1970s vintage Leupold 2-7 Vari-X II scope.

Cool photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm from the area too and love to see those old photos from the mountains.

Thanks for sharing! Very impressive bucks. Killed while running dogs or still hunting?

Those are some great pictures! Looks a lot like my neck of the woods in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests.
Nothing better than the pics of the good old days around these parts when hunting was still a big affair and it was hard to find a place to even park during rifle season.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back