Mossberg Patriot 300WM

fmnjr

So I bought, but haven't received yet, this setup: http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mossberg-patriot/mossberg-patriot-vortex-scoped-combos/

From what I've read about it, seems to be pretty solid. Going to use it on a trial basis thinking that, because I'm buying for two (boy is almost 12), my budget will not be stretched so much as if I was buying more expensive hardware.

Anyway, my question is, if I were shooting 200gr lead what mfr should I be looking at? Nosler...Winchester....???

I would try a few different brands, I have a Browning 300 Win Mag X Bolt and the federial premium shot better the the Nosler, I used the Trophy copper 180 grain

300Win + 12 year old? Sounds like a good way to develop a flinch. If shooting factory ammo I'd try some 180 and 200gr accubonds first.

Clarification needed...bought the 300WM for myself but I'll likely be buying the 270 setup for him. Thanks for the inputs, guess I'll be trying a least a few out from the given suggestions.

I had one in 308 great little gun for the price. Didn't like the trigger much. I kept locking the trigger when shooting and had to recycle the bolt. Gun shot great for the price but traded it in on a savage lightweight hunter. You won't got wrong but work on the trigger pull so it doesn't cost you dearly in the field. I found I had to always get a full even finger pad on the trigger and have a good even pull straight back or I would lock it up.

The Mossberg Patriot 300 wm has turned out to be a pretty good gun for the money. Been shooting it quite a bit just using junk ammo mostly, even so I can get 1 inch at 100 yards. A few days ago we had it out to the range in a 20 mph crosswind, was still able to ring metal at 350 yards. Of course, it is a budget gun so there are things I've discovered that I don't care for like the 3 round DBM or the synthetic stock. It's pretty light, too, and kicks like all get out so one thing I'll invest in is a bolt on brake. There is dearth of aftermarket stuff available for it, and with the sales number put up for this gun, I'd think there would be more attention but I guess the reality is who is going to put $$ into a sub $400 rifle?

I've discovered that I don't care for like the 3 round DBM or the synthetic stock.
A wet noodle forestock can be a real Achilles' Heel. You can work around it, but make sure whatever rests/support you use (sticks, bipod, pack, impromptu in the field, etc.) do not allow the barrel to touch the forestock when fired - otherwise it nixes the free floating design and can seriously degrade accuracy.

The Mossberg Patriot 300 wm has turned out to be a pretty good gun for the money. Been shooting it quite a bit just using junk ammo mostly, even so I can get 1 inch at 100 yards. A few days ago we had it out to the range in a 20 mph crosswind, was still able to ring metal at 350 yards. Of course, it is a budget gun so there are things I've discovered that I don't care for like the 3 round DBM or the synthetic stock. It's pretty light, too, and kicks like all get out so one thing I'll invest in is a bolt on brake. There is dearth of aftermarket stuff available for it, and with the sales number put up for this gun, I'd think there would be more attention but I guess the reality is who is going to put $$ into a sub $400 rifle?

I don't like any plastic stock's, just to ugly for me. I got a Patriot in 243 and had to get it with a plastic stock but ordered a wood stock right away. Needed a new rear action screw also, wood stock needs a longer one for some reason. Trigger guard is plastic and crush's easily, I had to replace one and managed to do the same with the new one. Doesn't seem to bother how the rifle shoot's, great shooter. Oh, BTW, the torque for the action screw's is 25#. Seem's awfully light to me but that's what Mossberg told me and it seem's to work. Action is bedded on a piece of plastic that also has the magazine well on it. Though it was funky, mostly because I like to bed my own actions and haven't figured this one out! What can I sat, it shoot's well. What I have read from different writer's is that they think a good deal of the Patriot.

I'm thinking on getting Boyds to replace the one it sold with but I'm also thinking it might just sell the rifle and build the one I really want or I might give it to my boy. Decisions, decisions.

After putting on a bolt on break, with a decent bipod, took this rifle to the range today. It is a laser beam at 400 yards, no joke. The break makes it pretty easy to shoot, almost like a 243. My 12 year old has been begging me to shoot it and after I felt what it was like with the break on it, I let him have at it. He loved it and started in ringing metal at 400 as well. Its crazy you can pick up and gun that'll shoot like this one does for just over $400, $434 to be exact. The bipod and break set me back $138 so all told, I've got $572 in it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back