More wolf pics

Erik in AK

Gents,

It's spring here in the high arctic. Its still cold but the days are long (16 hours of day light) and the caribou are starting to bunch up and string their way north to the calving grounds.

Accordingly, where the caribou go the wolves follow and the caribou have been hanging by the road. I saw a pack of 5 on Saturday, just north of the canyon leading up to Atigun Pass. Yesterday they took down a pair of caribou in the same area.

These pics were at 2:15 pm AST

Attachments

• CV29 Wolf1.JPG
    CV29 Wolf1.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 208
  • CV29 Wolf3.JPG
    CV29 Wolf3.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 207
Did you get to witness how fast them buggers can run?

Some of the wolves I've seen run, were so fuggin fast I could easily see how they take down any type of game.

Mostly I see them just casually loping along but even then they're cruising at a near sprint for a human.

Getting to spend time in this country is definitely the best part of my job

sweet! pics Erik and good news for me.
Question how long will you be up there this time? Im headed up there Friday after work and once again will be driving that black four door Chevy 2500 Diesel,If you see it haul @$$ and catch up and say howdy.And hows the weather temperture wise? See ya soon hopefully.Daniel

Daniel,
I head home Thursday morning. If you have an unfilled caribou tag bring your bow!!! There's several bands hanging right on the road (as in get out of the truck, step off the road and Thhhhhhunk) from Atigun 1 bridge all the way to the Kuparuk. I had caribou blocking the road four times today out on patrol.
The wolves are still hanging around between Atigun 1 and Pump 4. If you have a trapping license you can shoot them with a rifle inside the corridor.

Right now(Tues 8:15 pm) its snowing but hey...its the slope. Temps on this side are around 10-20.

will be brining the bow and rifle of course.Think I'll leave the traps behind for now :) Well I'll keep in touch and maybe in the near future we'll bump into each other.
Again thanks for the updates bud.Daniel

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back