More Equipment Action Shots for Oak

On a side note, I Have those tires even the same size. They have been amazing so far.

On a side note, I Have those tires even the same size. They have been amazing so far.

I had some serious Mall Terrains on my truck when I got it. They scared me last summer on rainy roads. I shopped and shopped for tires all summer. I had never made the MT redneck tire plunge before. Said screw it and did it, I couldn’t be happier, only 1000 miles so far though. They are different than other tires, ride, braking etc. Luckily I also have a car for most of my use so they should last a little while.

I looked over the Cooper discoverer STT tires today. another great choice in addition to those 'kooks'. For some reason the wife thinks her bald tiires need replacing sooner than mine that have 14k on them...Whats up with that?

As for window mounts, mine has a quick release so I can swap out the scope for a rifle in a flash:eek:

Yes all the ones I have seen and used in the past are complete junk. Would like one that is solid and holds up well.

Watching winter range bucks, there is no reason to get out of the truck. That starts Saturday!!

If you end up hanging around down here (not working Friday) let's go glass up some bucks. imagine the power of two window mounted spotters.

Let me know how those work on snow and ice, Dink.

If you guys get out down here to look at bucks, let me know. I was seeing a ton of deer the other day when I was elk hunting, but didn't stop to look. Khunter probably knows the area. You guys can tell me what you find (or not).

My brother has the STT on his truck, the life on them is horrendous. They lasted two years of all season use.

My Hankooks are studded so I only run them during the winter but have been very pleased with there road manners. Work great on snow, ice and mud with acceptable dry road handling.
I did throw one of my All Season's on to cover for a flat and you could feel the gripping difference on dry pavement with the Hankooks being alot worse. The exact opposite on snow, the Hankooks are a drastic improvement in bad conditions.

I have had the Cooper S/T on a couple trucks. great tire. I was looking for something to make me look tough.:rolleyes:

The hankook atM seems a good bit cheaper than the cooper S/T but do like the tread pattern on the cooper better...

Thanks guys. good link dink. But they skippped over hankook...

Does anybody have their tires siped? A guy at a tire store talked me into it about ten years ago. Pleased with the wear I get out of them.

The hankook ATm come in a 255/70 size. Narrowest i can get in cooper is 275 That may make the decision as I really like narow tires. I figure wide tires are for guys who like to get stuck...

I'll looked again. I see they did review the MT but nit the ATm...

Last edited:
Do gravel roads chips them then?

??
My reasoning for doing it is that in one day, I can go from dry pavement, to wet, to snow (slush and hardpack), to gravel, mud, etc. when traveling to our place in OR. Where I have noticed the biggest difference in on the hardpack crap. JMHO

Pardon Dink's incoherent question. I've told him he shouldn't drink before noon, but....

I think what he's asking is, do the tires then "chunk" out where the sipes are? Last time I bought tires, the guy at the store was trying to sell me a set of slightly used BFG ATs that had been siped. There were lots of little chunks of rubber missing around the sipes, so I didn't buy them.

Pardon Dink's incoherent question. I've told him he shouldn't drink before noon, but....

I think what he's asking is, do the tires then "chunk" out where the sipes are? Last time I bought tires, the guy at the store was trying to sell me a set of slightly used BFG ATs that had been siped. There were lots of little chunks of rubber missing around the sipes, so I didn't buy them.

I have heard of that happening for a couple of reasons- Running too much pressure and that some tires are compounded harder than others. I don't run the big knarly treads on our Tahoe or Ford 4X4 because I don't like the noise or the fact that I am unable to get mileage out of them, hence, all season tires. I do attempt to stay out of gumbo whenever possible because if stuff happens it is going to happen to me. For some reason just a fact.

I ran through 2 sets of Cooper ST's on my old truck, absolutely loved them. They seemed to give me a good balance of tire performance on multiple road conditions.

I know I had the last set of them siped (centers only) and was happy with the wear of them.

My current truck will get a set of them as soon as the ones that came on it are shot.

I looked at every 4x4 truck in every parking lot all summer long. Every STT tire did seem to be worn and cupped awful. One reason I went with the Kookies. If I was gonna buy Coopers it would definitely be the ST only.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/index.html

I have always ran the BFG Mud T/A. Switched to the Coopers for one try and had the same problem as mentioned above, cupping and wearing bad. BFG quit making the Mud T/A and switched to a little different tread pattern, but similar. That is the set I am "running" now. Got about 15000 on them and like them.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back