More attacks on easements?

I'm still trying to figure out how voluntary easements harmed these farmers...unless of course they got their handout and then didn't follow the rules they agreed to and were subsequently slapped on the hand for double dipping. I have no sympathy for people that put their hands out on a regular basis and then cry wolf when they don't get their way. It's just greed on their part...land prices skyrocketing and they can't profit because an easement restricts use, mostly development, but maintains ag production and now they want renegotiate under current land values even though they enjoyed the tax breaks already in place and likely got a healthy payment at or above land value.

I know a lot of the wetland easements funded by NRCS were used to enhance waterfowl production were used by profiteers capitalizing on hunt clubs. I'm sure after the sale of the easement the clubs/recreational landowners were upset because they couldn't farm things up and that's on them for not researching.

I also know that many of the UPOM followers in Fergus, Petroleum, and Phillips Counties were knocking on my door to get a piece of the Sage Grouse money I used to have access to. If there was enough to go around I'm certain I would have spent every cent on easements. Since there wasn't enough for easements many happily took payments of up to $50k for grazing plans.

Any ND guys know why the FWS would show up armed? And what is "heavy handed" enforcement?
Because violation contacts were deemed a law enforcement matter, and FWS policy required LE making any enforcement type contacts to be fully outfitted. That policy went out the window several years ago. Violation contacts are the responsibility of the District manager now, not LE.

Enforcement usually involves repairing the violation..so plugging ditches, removing fill from wetlands, repairing wetland contours, etc. Citations and fines were issued if someone refused to restore the damage, but it is very rare it comes to that. Even more rare are any criminal charges or cases going to court.

Because violation contacts were deemed a law enforcement matter, and FWS policy required LE making any enforcement type contacts to be fully outfitted. That policy went out the window several years ago. Violation contacts are the responsibility of the District manager now, not LE.

Enforcement usually involves repairing the violation..so plugging ditches, removing fill from wetlands, repairing wetland contours, etc. Citations and fines were issued if someone refused to restore the damage, but it is very rare it comes to that. Even more rare are any criminal charges or cases going to court.
Thank you.

Called my Congresswoman, who sits on the natural resources committee, to register my opposition to the House bill.

She and I agree on very little, but she states she is a property rights supporter, so I framed my opposition on taking away the landowner's ability to sign a perpetual easement if that's what they'd like to do. Tried my best to channel Randy.

Back