Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moose

Congrats!

So, what do you think the bull that inspected your kill was thinking?

More importantly, were you thinking this SOB is getting inside knife fighting range and I'm feeling a wee bit vulnerable?

Great stuff, thanks.
I think the smaller bull was ready to fight once the odds were tipped in his favor. I wasn't worried about him, but I think you can hear Dink climbing a tree behind me. ;)

nice moose Terry, congrats! I'm surprised you didn't hold out for the huge one. Wow is he impressive!

Reactions: Oak
Euro mount.

One other thing that I should have added. A big, wet moose cape is ridiculously heavy. The taxidermist got this one, but if we had been a distance from the road it would have been a quick and easy decision to leave it for the fox that was circling to chew on. We didn't leave him much else.

View attachment 242977
Mmmmmm…moose rib rolls. Up in the Yukon we took out the whole rib cage…thank you mountain draft horses! Moose ribs are high on my excellent list.

Congratulations Oak. Love to see someone that does so much good get a nice tag and use it on a fine animal. A couple weeks in the mountains is always worth it. Thanks for taking us along.

Great recap Mr. Oak! Another outstanding trophy/adventure and well deserved. The pictures make it last a lifetime.
My friend came along on my Wyoming Shiras hunt years ago and I still get a kick out of reviewing the old footage.
Well done.

Ok, since nobody else asked...care to share rules #1 and #2?

For AK drop hunts, which are bit different than spots you can drive around, I suppose.

#1 - don't wander all over the place spreading scent. You're hunting a giraffe that can see you in the brush better than you, can smell well, and can hear well.
#2 - trust your calling, stick to the same spot, don't call for an hour and move. I've had bulls show up in the spot I called 2 days later. They don't always (rarely) to a call like an elk for instance, in my experience, its like 1:3 making noise (maybe less, likely lots you never see or know if they come in or not), most come in silent looking.
#3 don't be a pussy. Moose are a lot of work regardless of if you shoot one 1/4 mile or 2 miles away, its going to suck. Lots of guys limit themselves to some distance or whatever. We all have limits, but most of those could be pushed a bit.

Does anyone in this thread have any recommendations of outfitters for a first time moose hunt?
My dad and I are looking at setting something up in the coming years to celebrate his retirement.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone in this thread have any recommendations of outfitters for a first time moose hunt?
My dad and I are looking at setting something up in the coming years to celebrate his retirement.
Thanks in advance.
A DIY thread about a hunt and tag that is near impossible to draw is probably a poor choice to scrounge up intel on a pay to play outfitted hunt. Suggest starting your own moose thread to get that sort of help.

And welcome to Hunt Talk.

Love this group. Great photos! Drew an Idaho tag for area 59 for 2023. Just got the word. I have been trying for 46 years. It's tough to hunt any more since I hit my seventies, and a disabled vet to boot. But I am going to work as hard as I can and hope for some luck. Don't know the area, but hunted years ago over the hill in Monatana just North of 59.

thanks for all the posts, I really am enjoying them.

Stumbled into this guy elk hunting in the fog one morning.
View attachment 297773
Nice. You guys might be looking for this thread.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back