Moose

Wapiti Wacker

Did anyone put in for moose? A friend asked me to put in for unit 63 as first choice and 62 as second choice.I have hunted in 63 before but only once and that was blackpowder antelope.I would sure like some input on these units and the propects for success. Thanks vern

I killed one in Unit 66-2 I think over by Palisades. Lot'za moos'es over there. Not familiar with 62-63 but if there are tags for moose, thre are usually moose :D :D

Unless you put in for a cow hunt there is basically no chance for your second choice, so don't worry about 62. I have not hunted 63 but I have been around the area a little bit. Mud Lake refuge would be a good spot (check the regs). I would then concentrate on the foothills in the northern part of the unit.

I also put in for moose in Eastern Idaho. I don't count on drawing but thought I will never draw a moose tag if I never apply.
Unit 63 doesn't look like moose habitat but there are a few there. It is kind of strang seeing moose standing in the Snake River Plain where there is mostly sage brush and farm land. You can basically find the moose in Unit 63 anywhere there is water. The mud lake area has a few resident moose. You are limited to short range weapons in part of the area around Mud Lake. I've also seen a few moose around Camas Wildlife Refuge. You can't hunt on the refuge but I'm sure they will leave the refuge on occasion. I know that moose from the surrounding mountains will winter in Unit 63 so you might have a chance at some migrating moose right at the end of the season. Counting on migrating moose would be a poor option because moose tolerate deep snow in the mountian much better than deer and elk do. If you do draw the tag, take time to talk to the guys hunting elk out there in August and September. I'm sure most of the elk hunters would be willing to tell you where they have seen moose. Good luck at drawing a tag

Thanks for the info guys, my buddy said that 62 is the better option if you are waiting for migrating moose.I will have to go check the areas out a little draw or not,it's always fun to explore new spots.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back