Moose

Calif. Hunter

No, not Moosie... I want to bag a moose. Where is the best bet, besides Alaska? The expense of flying in, packing out, etc. has scared me off Alaska. (I hear these stories about having to pay so much per pound to get the meat and antlers out, etc. that usually is not disclosed or talked about up front, and I hate to think of $10,000 for a moose hunt. I'd spend that much for Africa, but not a moose.) How hard are tags to get where you've hunted? What are the chances of a reasonably big bull?

A moose is next on my list, unless I get to Africa first. (See how fickle I am - I get a 6-point elk and I'm already thinking of "what next.") Of course, I'd also take a 30 inch mule deer next... ;)

If I can ever get drawn here in Mt. And chase them a bit, then I can be an expert. But till then, I will have to resign myself to being a fence sitter... :D

I will hunt them one Wyoming quits sending me my money back and sends me a tag instead. I have been putting in for moose here since 1991. :(

So I guess Montana and Wyoming are in the "Good Lcuk, Fella" category. I imagine Utah is the same...we saw several bulls there while elk hunting a few years ago. Anyone hunted them back east anywhere?

Mt. initiated the point's system a couple years ago, so that makes it a little more even for us. I had heard of guy's putting in for 20 years and never getting a tag and others every seven when the hold back between drawing tags was over.... :D

Cali,
I have been lusting after a moose for quite awhile. :D (moose not moosie, sorry :rolleyes: )

As far as guided hunts go, the least expensive I have found is Newfoundland. It is not to likely to get a large rack though. Most of them are fairly small. They boast of high success rates but they also include cows in the tally. Need to ask a ton of questions.
If it is a 50 plus incher you are after then it is parts of Canada or Alaska you need to go to.

Most people don't bring all of the meat home from Alaska, just the choice pieces, and the rest is usually donated locally.
It still adds up though.
Also check out the success rates in Alaska carefully. It isn't as high on unguided hunts as you would guess. 50% is doing well.

Maine has great sucess rates, but terrible draw rates. Too bad, they kill some nice ones.

Hope this helps.

Bill

CALI..... For $1,500 you can buy a tag here.. I think the odds aren't that bad ?!?!? TOO late forthis yearthough. WE can talk off the board on the area though, WELL HELL, It's once in a lifetime so I guess we can discuss it here ?!?!?! :D :D

Hey CH,Maine has a lottery system with the bonus point program that I know nothin about.Currently,there are 3000 permits offered with an april 1st deadline and a june somethin draw date.Guided hunts start at 1500$ mostly and go on up.Most meat care facilities start at round 45 cents a lb hangin weight.(Minus head,hide,legs and horns)Its a 2 week split season,with 1 week in sept and 1 in oct.Hope this helps and wish I knew more.We have upwards of 20,000 moose and success rates are always well above 80%. :D :D

I do moose hunts, I am booked for 2002 and 2003 on my allocated permitts. I can put you in for the drawing of the "extra" outfitter tags for 2003. My hunts run $2500 for base camp and $1000 trophy fee for a bull over 45 inches. $3000 for flyout hunt. Happy hunting, Casey

There are some very reasonable moose hunts in British Columbia and Alberta and you can drive up. No hassles with shipping meat that way.
My son and I went to Northern Alberta last year for a moose hunt and took 2 moose. His was small, about 24" and mine wasn't a trophy, about 44", but man are they good eating and we had a great time. This outfitter (Doig River outfitters) charges $2900 for a hunt and you have to buy a tag/license for $200. The drive from Portland was about 21 hours and was beautiful.
We had a great time in some great country, had a BIG Grizzly hanging around camp most of the week, and ate great the whole time. What else can you ask for?
Crossing the border with guns was a non-issue also. Just fill out the forms, pay your money, and you're on your way. The border people were VERY courteous and made it as painless as possible.
Heck, the way my family likes moose meat, we're probably going to have to go back next year to refill the freezer.- Sheister

Casy - what kind of success rate do you have, and are bulls over 45 inches a regular occurence or a rarity? How much do the tags cost? If I don't get a "left over" tag, can I get on the list for 2004?

Sheister - how difficult was it to get tags? DO you have contact info for that outfitter?

Calif. Hunter, the tags were over the counter so all you had to do is pay your money to the outfitter when you get there and he takes you down to get the tags. Pretty simple procedure actually.

Some of the guys had shots at 55" or better moose, but most of the bulls we saw taken were in the mid 40's. Some very nice bulls, though. If I can find my pictures, I'll e-mail you some pics of our hunt last fall.

His phone number is 1-780-835-5152. He also has excellent bear hunting, fall and spring. In the early season, before the snows you get around on ATV's to cover ground, then you stop and call moose in. Later, they use snowmobiles when the snow is too deep for the 4 wheelers. The ATV's were a kick in the pants to ride and your group will be the only ones hunting this unbelievably huge area behind locked gates.- Sheister

CalifHunter,
I could get you one of my allotted tags for 2004 for sure. I am trying to increase my tags to 8 for next year. I currently have 4. This year we were able to get 6 extra and I beleive the fish and game will loosen up a little. Last year I put in for four extra tags and got all four. This year I put in for 7 and got 6 so the odds are really good. Last year we shot 3 bulls, none were over 45. It was our first season and we spent alot of time just "looking" for moose. I learned alot and feel confident that we can run in the 75% success range. We also had hot weather than caused us real problems. The first three weeks of moose season it never froze once and we saw 1 bull, 3 cows, and two calves. The last three days of the season when the temps hit 10 degrees I saw 11 bulls right on the river not 15 miles from camp, was pretty exciting when the rut kicked in. Also I include fishing for trophy pike and lake trout this time of year and black bear may be taken for a $500 trophy fee is you see one you like. Happy hunting, Csaey

From the above link:
As a demonstration of the effectiveness of the preference point system, I contacted Harry Harju, who is the Assistant Chief with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, to find out how long it might take a new applicant starting with no preference points to draw a license. Harry estimated that a new applicant would have a good chance of drawing a bull moose license in 3 years and in the worst case, would draw in 8 years

I call BS. I have put in every year since 1991 so I have my 8 points and still not tag. I will get my tag in due time. I guess it was just not in the cards for me.

T-bone - I'm not sure if they are Shiras in Alberta or not. I'll know if I got drawn for New Mexico Elk next month. If so, moose will definitely have to wait for next year. If not, then I may want to see if I do something this year. My buddy, Jorge, will probably want to go, too.

Elkhunter - that sucks! (What else can I say?)

Hey Calif. hunter, lets talk moose hunting at the pig hunt, mabey we can get togather on these Wyo. moose app.s next year.
I'd like to wak a bullwinkel.

Back