Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Moose where to start?

jvanhoy

Im from the east and obsessed with archery elk. I've hunted CO and WY. That's my plan for the next few years but would love to do a moose hunt in the future. Im just not sure where to begin. Im a average person that has to save to do my annual elk hunt. I can't afford a guided hunt and would rather diy even if i could. The area i hunt in CO has a healthy moose population but gives no non resident tags. I have no points for moose anywhere. Where should i start to build points to have a realistic chance of archery hunting in the next 10 years or so? Or is moose more of a guided hunt you have to spend 5k on? If so probably not in the cards for me. Thanks

ID does a random draw, some units have 20%+draw rates. you could draw a tag this year or in the next few.

Otherwise, the points game sucks for moose. Since you are on the otherside of the country, I'd look into a Newfoundland hunt or in the area.

Idaho is your best bet! Wyoming will take probably 17-20 years. Win the lotto, Alaska or BC awaits.

ID has a two stage draw for non-residents for moose, goat and sheep. You can only apply for one of those each year.

The first stage is whether the quota of 10% tags max (not guaranteed) have been drawn by non-residents for the species. If has not been met then if the next application selected is a non-resident application then the hunt selection is reviewed. If that hunt unit has not met the non-resident quota and there is one or more tags left then a tag is awarded to the non-resident.

Is not accurate to look at the various hunt units and compare how many non-residents applied vs. how many drew to reach the conclusion that will be a great unit in 2018 for you to apply. For example, say in a hypothetical unit 2 non-residents applied and one drew a tag. 50% draw odds right? Not really. 50% of the non-resident applicants drew but if the random order had been different then likely neither would have drawn. The odds you care about are how many non-residents applied for bull moose and how many drew. You have to sort out the cow moose apps and tags.

I have drawn ID moose as non-resident so no longer do the math but a couple of years back the overall odds for a non-resident to draw moose were around 1 in 10 which is better than non-resident goat at around 1 in 50 which is better than non-resident sheep at around 1 in 180.

So, if you apply as a non-resident for the next decade then odds are you will draw your once in a lifetime ID moose tag. Or, if apply for the next 5 decades odds are will draw a goat tag. Odds are 3 to 1 you die before draw a sheep tag if apply every year you are eligible.

I’d say you are more like 40-50 years away from drawing in Wyoming, if you are lucky.

I gave up in Wyoming after just a few years. I initially went into thinking I'd snag a cow tag; the area I wanted to hunt, I could get a cow tag with just 1 or 2 points. By the time I had 2 points, those cow tags took 7 points to draw. Combine that with the announced fee increases, and it was too much money for me to justify. I'm 30, maybe if I held out until I'm 70 or 80 I may draw a bull tag, but with that kind of time and money investment I could do several hunts in Canada. Also, who knows if we'll even have hunt-able populations of moose in the lower 48 in another 40-50 years.. I hope so, but I'm not willing to wager that kind of $$ on it.

I'm interested in trying to coordinate a DIY hunt in Alaska within the next few years. However, even DIY in Alaska looks like it'll cost the same or more as one of the mid-tier guided eastern Canada moose hunts, with a lot more logistical work involved.

I think for a guy on a tight budget, a yearly application in Idaho while simultaneously saving for a guided hunt in Canada or a DIY in Alaska is the way to go though.

You don't have to worry about one of those Wyoming NR's with 7 points, I quit applying.

Ontario...DIY drop camp through an outfitter.
Stop playing the Lower 48's games with the points and nonsense. Go north and hunt.

IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_5520 (9).jpg

First moose I ever called in.

For the record I would have shot a spike.....instead I ended up with a record Book bull (Which took a long time and multiple P&Y people to determine its score due to the second palmation)

I should note that all of these were killed during archery season with bows (Not crossbows...)

I've got a solid Idaho unit for you I will text it to you. I use to apply for it but have changed to attempt goat tags there. Tag prices are high in Idaho for moose if you do draw. My only other advise would be Maine but that's a whole different story on a money grab system but guys draw it every year.

If you really wanna get the itch stop by and put hands on my moose rack waiting on taxidermy.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into everything suggested.

I've got a solid Idaho unit for you I will text it to you. I use to apply for it but have changed to attempt goat tags there. Tag prices are high in Idaho for moose if you do draw. My only other advise would be Maine but that's a whole different story on a money grab system but guys draw it every year.

If you really wanna get the itch stop by and put hands on my moose rack waiting on taxidermy.

That's awesome. I would love to check it out. Im so hooked on elk right now but moose is on my mind. So figure i better start doing a little research.

My only other advise would be Maine but that's a whole different story on a money grab system but guys draw it every year.

I also put in for ME, NH, and VT. I am not sure I would suggest doing it now if you are just starting. Tags have been dropping until this year, odds are still not good. But, app fees are 10-$25.

I also put in for ME, NH, and VT. I am not sure I would suggest doing it now if you are just starting. Tags have been dropping until this year, odds are still not good. But, app fees are 10-$25.

I have 18 years into the Maine lottery. This is the first year I can apply in NH after drawing in 2014, I am on the fence about getting back in or not as the # of tags has dropped significantly. Last year they gave out 8 NR permits. As for VT...I have a few (3-4) points built up there but the proposal for this year is 16 tags TOTAL, only 1 of which will go to a NR. I am DONE with VT.
jvanhoy- I would seriously consider booking a Newfoundland trip if I were you.

I also dropped out of VT this season. They have got enough of my money.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back