Caribou Gear Tarp

Moose Types

Lady Hunter in AZ

I know there are 4 types of Moose. The shirrah moose is the only one that I know that is in some parts of Utah and Colorado. Can you please tell what the other names are and where they are located at and which is the biggest. I am just curious.

I dont know of four, but Boone and Crockett recognizes three sub-species. Shiras, which are found in Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, etc. Canadian moose, found you guessed it, in Canada. The Alaska/Yukon moose found in Northern Canada and AK.

Dont know of any others.

There is an Elusive HuntTalk.com Moose. He's hard to get a tag for But I hear he makes a great "MOUNT" :D :D

Seriousley though.. I only know of the 3 aswell..... HUmmmm I know that the Alaskan Moose is High on my list.... I sure wouldn't mine Bagging one of them !!!!!

Can't help much either, the only moose i've heard of are the one's already mentioned and that includes the elusive, yet terribly ugly OSCAR MOOSE.hehehe j/k.

Good luck!

From largest to least:

1. Alaska/Yukon; Alaska, the Yukon and south western Northwest Territory; 70+ inch spreads & 1800 lbs max

2. Canadian; most of the rest of interior Canada; 60+ inch spreads & 1500 lbs max

3. Shiras; Rocky Mountain region; 50+ inch spreads & 1300 lbs

4. Labrador; Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and parts of Ontario; 45+ inch spreads & 1200 lbs

I took a Newfoundland moose back in '96 that had a nice 53-1/2" spread (see photo under Moosie's new family of photos section at the top of the page. It's toward the end of pg. #3).

I got it within the first 7 minutes of the first morning of the hunt. Then I was in bed for the rest of the week with an intestinal virus!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back