Moose tag non-resident

I’d be happy with a cow moose… but don’t think that will happen in lower48 either.

Idaho - 514 Moose tags for 2023 - 10% to NR so 51 tags.

Looks like about 1000 NR applied last year.

Up to 10% to non resident; theoretically they could draw none. Idaho moose odds I feel are seriously overrated IMO. I’ve lost track of the number of years I’ve applied as a resident and got a no. Additionally outside of a couple spots moose numbers and size seem to be a sinking ship

How many years can I plan on applying for a moose tag before I would be successful in getting one being a non-resident.
Took me 26 years as a resident. Statistically, no one should ever draw. I think having expectations like “how many years can I plan …..” will surely result in disappointment. But, you’ll never draw if you don’t apply

For 45 grand you can hunt in new Zealand for the next 10 yes. We have chamois, tahr, red deer n fallow not to mention sika, there's sambar and even whitetail. You can go into the wilds of fiordland and look for a moose as there were some there a hundred yes ago or thereabouts. Heaps of goats, wallaby and tons of rabbits, I might have left one or two out. A bit of lateral thinking n you're hunting something exotic every yr somewhere. Don't tie yourself down.

Up to 10% to non resident; theoretically they could draw none. Idaho moose odds I feel are seriously overrated IMO. I’ve lost track of the number of years I’ve applied as a resident and got a no. Additionally outside of a couple spots moose numbers and size seem to be a sinking ship
And NR have to buy license to apply then pay $230ish in nonrefundable "convience fees" for that up-to 10% but none guaranteed tags. Kind of a scam unless your one of the few who can afford ridicous app fees for terrible odds like a few have done.

Stay out of the Colorado game unless you're ok with a cow tag. Idaho with it's random draw is worth it IMO. Colorado cow moose is probably the most practical and economical way to go moose hunting for a DIY guy from a state with no moose.

Colorado cow moose is probably your best bet.

There are also a few units in Idaho where historically it has appeared relatively easy for a nonresident to get a tag. Those units, however, also seem to not have much of a moose population or difficult to find the moose looking at the harvest statistics. It's also quite expensive to apply in Idaho unless you are already buying a hunting license there.

Note that things are generally not becoming any more favorable for nonresident hunters and are likely to get worse.

With this in mind, I have been really looking at upgrading my camera gear and just going out there with that. It's pretty exciting to think that I can go "hunt" places that people wait their lifetime to hopefully draw a tag for. Perhaps you would be interested in the same.

I'm not saying to not apply. Just realize that you don't have to have a tag in your pocket to experience the things you'd like to experience, and you don't have to wait a long time to experience them.

I've been putting in for moose for 42 years in Montana and have never drawn one.

Good luck!

Thanks...ill keep putting in never know i moght get lucky several years from now.while elk hunting last year we ran into moose 3 bulls together in one unit and bull/cow together in another.

Newfoundland guided moose hunts are reasonably priced and you can combine them with bear and sometimes caribou.
I bought a combination moose and caribou hunt in Newfoundland in 2018. I think that the whole hunt, including airfare from Denver, cost around $15K.

My caribou tag was good everywhere, but my moose tag was only good in one unit. In a weeks hunting we didn't see a single caribou.

Many years ago I had killed 2 bull moose here in Montana, one with a 50" spread and the other with a 40" spread, so I wanted a Newfoundland bull with at least a 40" spread.

In Newfoundland, we saw 3 moose (all bulls). The bull that might have had 40" antlers was about a mile beyond the river that was my moose area boundary. The 2 young bulls that I saw in my moose unit must have known that I was after their grandfather becasuse they just stood there watching us.

Two years ago I went on a combination brown bear and moose hunt in SW Alaska. My guide had 3 brown bear hunts that year, and his clients all shot a brown bear. On his first hunt, they saw one bull moose, but he was too far away to see if it was legal, and since his hunter then didn't have a moose tag they didn't try to get closer. We didn't see any moose on my hunt, and they didn't see any on the 3rd hunt.

Hunters on guided hunts don't always fill their tags, especially when the hunter is too picky.

How many years can I plan on applying for a moose tag before I would be successful in getting one being a non-resident.
You are twenty years behind that curve in the lower 48 unless a state is totally random(ID). Don't waste your money on a bunch of points and other fees. Save your money and go to Newfoundland hands down.
Maybe even 30 years behind that curve here in Montana.

I drew bull moose tags here on Montana in '84 and '88, both before the 7 year wait rule, and have since unsuccessfully applied 35 years, all with maximum "bonus" points, without drawing another tag.

Colorado cow moose is probably your best bet.

There are also a few units in Idaho where historically it has appeared relatively easy for a nonresident to get a tag. Those units, however, also seem to not have much of a moose population or difficult to find the moose looking at the harvest statistics. It's also quite expensive to apply in Idaho unless you are already buying a hunting license there.

Note that things are generally not becoming any more favorable for nonresident hunters and are likely to get worse.

With this in mind, I have been really looking at upgrading my camera gear and just going out there with that. It's pretty exciting to think that I can go "hunt" places that people wait their lifetime to hopefully draw a tag for. Perhaps you would be interested in the same.

I'm not saying to not apply. Just realize that you don't have to have a tag in your pocket to experience the things you'd like to experience, and you don't have to wait a long time to experience them.
I really want to try moose meat. 😝 I hear it’s amazing.

I really want to try moose meat. 😝 I hear it’s amazing.
I only have a sample size of one, but the one I have eaten didn't come close to being as good as the whitetails I can kill in my backyard. I have heard others who have said they love it, though, so maybe the one I got was an oddity. So far it has been my least favorite wild game red meat.

I only have a sample size of one, but the one I have eaten didn't come close to being as good as the whitetails I can kill in my backyard. I have heard others who have said they love it, though, so maybe the one I got was an oddity. So far it has been my least favorite wild game red meat.
Count me in the group that loves moose meat. It is my favorite wild game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back