moose, sheep and goats regs

Those regs have been up for a few days now. I have been lookin at maps and checkin for info all week long. Don't know if I want to put in for the same areas or not since there are a few new areas.

The only thing that chaps my butt is the fact our deer and elk permits had to be in by the 15th but hard copies of the regs are still not out, foul in my book. Also the web sites hunt planner isn't up to date with the new changes either. I know they are only a tool and not law but montana fwp and their web site doesnt impress me at all. Neither does that little packet they made for permits since it only covers bulls and bucks only.

Wow, looked at the sheep and goat regs...not impressed.

A huge change is the entire west side of the 'root is down to 2 goat tags...either something with the habitat changed or the MTFWP f-ed up big-time.

I remember when they issued 75 tags in there good for the entire 240 unit.

Sad.

I haven't had a chance to look at the regs but at the Region 3 meeting the biologists commented on how much the goat numbers are increasing in our areas. They mentioned that they were going to increase tags and in one area try to remove and transplant some goats elsewhere.
The biologists were asked why the goats were doing so well and they weren't sure.

Been looking all weekend. Thinking about changing my regions for goat and sheep to those with a higher percentage, goat (5.88% draw odds) and sheep (2.5%). Not that it'll change, but the Breaks and Highwoods are never going to give way to a tag. It'd be easy picking if I ever did I guess though, which is what worries me but other areas that are harder to get into. I guess if I were desperate I'd hire an outfitter to get me into some of those areas or at least one with a drop camp service...hmmmm. Thoughts?

Wow, looked at the sheep and goat regs...not impressed.

A huge change is the entire west side of the 'root is down to 2 goat tags...either something with the habitat changed or the MTFWP f-ed up big-time.

I remember when they issued 75 tags in there good for the entire 240 unit.

Sad.

I haven't had a chance to look at the regs but at the Region 3 meeting the biologists commented on how much the goat numbers are increasing in our areas. They mentioned that they were going to increase tags and in one area try to remove and transplant some goats elsewhere.
The biologists were asked why the goats were doing so well and they weren't sure.

For quite a while now the native populations have been nose-diving, and the relocated herds have been thriving. As far as I know they really haven't figure out what's going on. Goats are pretty hard to figure out, and it's a disturbing trend.

With sheep, seems they'd open up a few more ram tags in some units to make up for the tags lost to pneumonia. Kinda bummed they haven't as well.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back