Moose season dates unit 6A

Bummer

I noticed the season for moose in unit 6a runs to the end of November. My job doesn’t allow me to hunt In September or the first part of October. This season is a draw hunt but has me interested. Just wondering if anyone has any insight to why the later season dates and if it is even logistical to hunt later on. Any input would be appreciated. Thank You.

The reason for the length of the season would best be answered by the area biologist. Logistically - you're looking at a wilderness area. Access would be by boat or airtaxi. The area is Gulf coast and I would expect heavy snows, from sometime in October, onward. High winds and rough seas would also be part of the program, so extra time at the beginning and end of the hunt would need to be figured into your equation. Also last year there were 476 applicants for 5 tags or a little over a 1% draw opportunity. (The draw percentages listed by F&G are out of wack, now that an applicant is able to apply for a specific hunt up to 6 times - the percentages are based on the number of applications, not the number of applicants.)

Thank You Gary. I saw it was a low chance of drawing but just wanted to have a little insight before applying. I will give the biologist a call. Thx again.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back