Moose hunts

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day,

My wife and I are looking to do an international trip together next year. It has to be somewhere that I can hunt but also then do some things with her. My two real considerations are Africa and North America.

Seeing as my caribou dreams were quashed I thought I'd try moose which I always have also had high on my list.

Any recommendations for places to look or specific outfitters? I'd be looking at Canada I think, interest is intersecting cost with average bull size. Don't need a 50 or 60" bull, the adventure and thrill of hunting a big animal is my focus. I just like something with a bit of palm.

Appreciate any suggestions.

BC might be a choice, and I’d recommend a 2 on 1 hunt Moose hunt.I think your cost would be 10,000 each plus or minus. I think next year is probably not going to happen either. I’ve hunted twice in BC, once by myself and the second was a 2 on 1 hunt with my son. I’ve used Stone Mountain Safaris both times.

@Aussie_hunter_JD Just an idea: Have you considered a Yellowstone-Grand Teton National Park vacation with your wife and then you staying to hunt elk in the Thorofare? A big elk is a big animal, too. And those backcountry pack-string hunts in a Greater Yellowstone wilderness area during the rut represent one of the coolest backcountry hunting experiences in the world in my opinion. They’re cheaper than a BC moose hunt by quite a bit. Just a thought.

For moose there is Newfoundland and then there is everything else. Moose are an introduced species here but there are tons of them and $ ranges from reasonable to a whole lot more for more remote hunts with bigger racks. I’d check out vacation options on the island and see if there is anything appealing before moving on to other options.

Canada is my preference as our dollar is tanking against the greenback. Basically to the tune of every hunt in USD costing 50% more when converted to AUD.

Having just gone through the moose search myself I will tell you where I landed. I don't have the wife coming along caveat though.
Considering all options Canada became my first choice since I'm not up for DIY in bear county on a hunt I've never done before in a land I've only visited from a cruise ship, Alaska. Antler size is a consideration for me. Ontario offers reasonable hunts on smaller bulls, generally. Most of the hunts I looked at were 2on1 with one bull tag and one cow\calf tag. Show stopper for us. It was my finding that the further north you go the higher the price for an outfitted hunt. We settled on northern Alberta near the BC border. I'm told we will be very close the Canadian Rockies, another plus for us. The hunt all in is just shy of 10k, including a wolf tag. I have some previous knowledge of the outfitter from a former client. This is not a pack hunt. Base camp and\or spike camps by river jet boat. Archery or rifle.

I reckon that 10k USD will get you a great Canadian Moose hunt in BC., Alberta, or Saskatchewan. as far as having something for the Ms., I would gravitate towards AB or BC and spend a few nights in Banff or Jasper and soak it all in! Going to Newfoundland might be cheaper, but that is not the place to take a wife for a vacation.......

I reckon that 10k USD will get you a great Canadian Moose hunt in BC., Alberta, or Saskatchewan. as far as having something for the Ms., I would gravitate towards AB or BC and spend a few nights in Banff or Jasper and soak it all in! Going to Newfoundland might be cheaper, but that is not the place to take a wife for a vacation.......
Banff and surrounding area was a (non-hunting) bucket list vacation for me. Amazing place I’d go again in a heartbeat. We went in Sept

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back