PEAX Equipment

Moose Hunt

hitman

Went on a hunt with "Moose" yesterday, as I spent the day hunting whitetail deer in CT with John "Moose" Ellis, a former New York Yankee who also played for the Indians and Rangers from 1969 through 1981. John played first base and catcher, and he caught Dick Bosman's no-hitter in 1971. While with the Indians, he was given the nickname "Moose" by Red Sox announcer Ken Coleman. All I can say is that John is one of the most generous and hard working guys you would ever want to meet, and I really enjoyed hunting with him. We had a great day in the woods hunting deer and talking about conservation and ways to protect hunting access in America. In 1987, John founded the Connecticut Sports Foundation Against Cancer, an organization that raises money for kids fighting Cancer.

That's pretty cool. Did you just meet him out of the blue or was it some kind of fundraiser hunt? If he played that long ago is he about 80 now?

I worked with his son a few years ago at my old company, and we have stayed in touch. John Ellis is in his mid to late 60's, but seems to be in better shape than me at 42. He is pretty good friend's with Mel Stodlemyer, who has a big ranch in Montana (rep.) where he hunts elk and mule deer. We had fun and look forward to hunting with him again sometime.

Back