Moose Growl???

mplane72

This year in CO the area we were hunting was crawling with moose. Most guys in our camp saw more moose then elk over the hunt.

One evening we decided to push up into the head of a large drainage to just spread out in the fingers of timber coming out into a large meadow and sit. We decided we would all find a comfortable spot and sit. No calling unless we actually saw an elk.

To keep this short. I was in the middle with a buddy to the east and west of me. Not long before sunset I saw a cow moose working through the timber in my finger, maybe 70 yards out and up wind. Moose have always made me nervous so I was relieved when she did not come down my direction. I lost sight of her for a while but just after sunset she came trotting back across the top of my finger and this time I could see she had a calf with her. I'm pretty sure she got my buddies wind to the west of me. I said oh crap to myself as they entered the thick finger my buddy to the East was in. Now, it was sometime after sunset and it was dark in that timber. Next thing I see is the calf bolting and then what I can only describe as the scariest sound I have ever heard in Nature.
You can hear it here. It was like the later growls. Much more of a growl sound then a cow bawl. It was loud as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--PyKhohVcY

My buddy never saw the moose and had no idea what it was but it was with in 20 yards of him. Needless to say he figured no elk would be coming into that area so he packed up and headed to our meeting spot. My other buddy was tracking a bull he shot and was a little unnerved when he heard it over 200 yards away. I was not happy with the thought of crossing the area I saw the calf run into in the dark but it was my only way out.

Any one ever hear this sound? Was it a warning to the calf or my buddy?

Like I said I've always been nervous around moose, I'd rather deal with a black bear. I'm not used to large wild animals that don't run from humans. On this trip I also encountered a cow and calf as a rounded the corner on a old closed road. Rounded a corner and there they were at about 50 yards. Once that cow saw me she did not leave. Just turned and faced me head on. I waited a few minutes in a stare down and then decided I'd find a different route.

Anyone have any good moose stories?

Growl noise is bad news. I heard it two years ago when I accidentally pushed a mama moose and a calf into the edge of a thick drainage -- they had nowhere to go. I had no idea that I had cornered them until I was within ~30ft. She growled twice at me, and I don't care to hear that noise again. Only thing I could do was hammer on my cow call. My buddy could hear the noise I made from a half mile away. I've never crawled an embankment so fast in my life.

The units I hunt are crawling with moose -- I encounter them daily. I'm afraid it's a matter of time before somebody gets hurt, honestly.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back