Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana's 1st Grizz fatality for 21

Mtnhunter1

MT FWP just sent out an email stating that there was a Grizz caused fatality early this morning.

Thoughts and prayers going out to those involved.

Please be bear-aware while out and about enjoying what MT has to offer.

Did not realize that there had been a Grizz caused fatality back in April! So this would be fatality #2 for the year.....sad.
The April bear was protecting a kill which is normal. This one appears to be predatory (and in town) which is rare. I’m betting it got used to the food laying around in the form of chickens and garbage and just expanded its menu. Sad.

The April bear was protecting a kill which is normal. This one appears to be predatory (and in town) which is rare. I’m betting it got used to the food laying around in the form of chickens and garbage and just expanded its menu. Sad.
Folks in that valley are very bear aware as it is infested with G-bears from spring though fall. Now the folks visiting MT and using the camp grounds might not be so cautious. If I am going to leave this world due to a bear encounter, please let it be during the day and not while I'm sleeping!!

Again, thoughts and prayers to the fiends and family.

Folks in that valley are very bear aware as it is infested with G-bears from spring though fall. Now the folks visiting MT and using the camp grounds might not be so cautious.
I always thought the BF Valley to be one of the more bear aware parts of the state because they’re so darn present on the landscape. I’ve seen fresh tracks within spitting distance of Trixie’s. I could see how the uninitiated might’ve been lulled into a false sense of security based on proximity to town though.

Sad this happened thoughts and prayers to her and her family.

Last edited:
Just got this notice from the HOA where I have some property in Gallatin County just east of Bozeman pass and a couple miles south of I-90. Lots of black bears in the area, but this is the first I've heard of grizzly sighting near there.

1632164381832.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back