Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana wolves

freu1chr

I filled my Montana mule deer tag on the first day of a 7 day hunt! Does anyone have any incite or tips on where I would have a good chance at getting a shot at a wolf? Thanks in advance.

There’s wolves around every tree in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming...According to the barstool biologists.

Funny thing I’ve hunted well over 30 days in some of the highest density wolf areas in Montana and Wyoming this year, have seen 4 sets of tracks.

I’d go hang out by a school bus stop. Rumor has it they wait there to prey on children.

In all seriousness, go hunt but don’t have high expectations. Like Carnage and Buzz, I’ve hunted some pretty high density wolf areas and seen very few

In the 3 seasons that I've lived in SW Montana, I've seen one. I was glassing a herd of elk on the winter range and a lone wolf was cruising across the wide open. I would say you would have the best chance to see one if you were hunting around large groups of elk. The problem is it's been warm and the elk aren't on the winter range yet.

Last wolf season I put in 14 days and saw one tail.

Call your local bio and ask them where the packs are, then go put boots on ground.

The challenge with wolf hunting is they are darn skilled at playing the stealth role as apex predators.
For the "Joe/Jane hunter, trapping is pretty much a non option. Part time / limited time setting up over 48hr w/o Idaho snare abilities.. Thus rifle hunting wolves... Man, it's one heck of a challenge for a person who places family over self desired work built Annual Leave for wolf hunting... Especially considering the time committed for an animal that FWP considers as not wanton waste to leave the dog meat behind.
Still working on the wolf objective/goal of 3 years. It's a bitch! Though, fun as hell for the challenge it offers.
Seems deep forested frozen lakes are a good place to bring them in for rifle hunting if your looking at the highest concentration of wolves in MT, being NW MT. The lack of SE MT glassing opportunities up in NW give wolves the upper hand for cover/concealment.
Like I shared above - it's extremely fun and challenging though tougher then anything I've hunted before. Contrary to others here, Each of my prior main areas I hunted archery for elk in the past, Pintler, Bighole, Bob and Ten Lakes down - have all brought in wolves and not a peep from the elk - even still, aside from one opportunity my partner and I turned down, they howled though stayed hidden. This brought me to my hunt for wolves.

To each his / her own for hunting wolves. Amazing creatures! Skilled apex predators. I think my 3 year goal may not come true though... I'll set another goal if I don't succeed by fwp 2020 - too much fun with the limited opportunities to hunt them.

Back