PEAX Equipment

Montana WMA Opener

802flyfish

Can anyone recommend a WMA in SW Montana that might be worth checking out when the WMA's open this Friday for shed hunting? I've found a few articles, but some are over 20 years old. I've been training my pup over the past few months so I want to giver her the best possibility on finding a shed or two. Any recommendations or tips on shed hunting would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I've seen a few videos of Sun River and it doesn't look appealing. I actually live a few miles from a WMA above West Yellowstone. This is my first year looking for sheds so I'm not sure what to expect..

I've seen a few videos of Sun River and it doesn't look appealing. I actually live a few miles from a WMA above West Yellowstone. This is my first year looking for sheds so I'm not sure what to expect..
expect there to be a line of guys camped starting very soon. Last year at one of the WMAs there were guys camped out the Saturday a week before the opener for their "spot". What a nightmare...in my not popular opinion I wish they'd require horn buyers/sellers to pay taxes on those public resources

Luckily, I have a few within a hour or two drive. Just want to be strategic about it. A few people have mentioned that the WMA on the Madison get picked over before it even opens up. Not sure if there any truth to it or not?

expect there to be a line of guys camped starting very soon. Last year at one of the WMAs there were guys camped out the Saturday a week before the opener for their "spot". What a nightmare...in my not popular opinion I wish they'd require horn buyers/sellers to pay taxes on those public resources
There’s been about 15 vehicles lined up for over a month at the sun river gate.

I'm number 3X in line at Sun River after dropping my truck off last Friday. It's just entertaining to go watch the horse take off along with the runners. Plus it's a day off work with my brothers, son and wife.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back