Montana Watefowl

802flyfish

I have a 6 old month Drahthaar that I’m looking to get into more adventures with. With that being said, I’m looking to try my hand at waterfowl this year. Being located in SW MT, can anyone recommend the essential gear I should invest in?

I have access to Mojo & Avian at a significant discount, just not sure on which decoys to purchase.

I have a nice pair of Simms waders. I planned on picking up some mallards. I can get a good deal on some black ducks but wasent sure if that was worth adding to the spread.

Came across this duck blind on public today while fishing.

64223E36-D261-48A0-9B7F-6B50F38CE016.jpeg

Considering the duck hunting that I've done in Montana, I'd agree that a pair of waders is the most important piece of equipment. A canoe can be really helpful too, as well as a few decoys.

I have a 6 old month Drahthaar that I’m looking to get into more adventures with. With that being said, I’m looking to try my hand at waterfowl this year. Being located in SW MT, can anyone recommend the essential gear I should invest in?

I have access to Mojo & Avian at a significant discount, just not sure on which decoys to purchase.
If you get an Avian discount then go with them. Avians are my go to decoy.

Get some of those Avians (love mine), some cheap tarred nylon, a bungee cord and a brick. Combine them all together and make yourself a jerk string.
Not sure how well simms waders do in the cold so go ahead and start looking into waders ( I like my FroggToggs but Rogers brand waders are the same thing, just rebranded)

Buy a couple different boxes of shells and start patterning now.
It always amazes me how many people skip this part and wonder why they miss or cripple ducks

“Most will be mallards, but one dozen will be black duck decoys for extra visibility. Black or dark-colored decoys stand out better. They're easier for passing ducks to see, so I add these in to increase my spread's visibility”.

Should I ignore this and buy more mallards ?

“Most will be mallards, but one dozen will be black duck decoys for extra visibility. Black or dark-colored decoys stand out better. They're easier for passing ducks to see, so I add these in to increase my spread's visibility”.

I’d get some golden eyes or teal.

Personally, I would start with a dozen mallards.
Then figure out what ducks you're seeing in your area and adjust your spread to match.

I also look at other guys spreads as I'm driving around (may not be possible your way, without being a ass).
Whatever 90% of other people are doing, I am going to do the opposite.
For example, around here the most common spread is 2 dozen mallards and 1-3 spinners.
I use a dozen mallards, some pintails and woodies if in an appropriate location.
I also like to throw out a couple canadas by themselves to one side

Get a big enclosed trailer and fill it full of decoys lol 😜

Can be as cheap or expensive as you make it. Jump shooting is cheap. Hunting water with a couple dozen decoys is even fairly cheap. I don’t do much water hunting but it seems to take less decoys then in the fields
B75FB409-CD3E-4F0E-89EA-4AD4F5F6A82B.jpeg

I have a nice pair of Simms waders. I planned on picking up some mallards. I can get a good deal on some black ducks but wasent sure if that was worth adding to the spread.

Came across this duck blind on public today while fishing.

View attachment 192108
That blind should be set on fire or blown up.
I'm guessing if you take residency with 49 plates you might run in to trouble.

Shotgun + steel shot.
Waders.
Jerk string.
Decoys.

Get a jerk string for ducks and forget about calling. You can either make one with some string and shock cord, or go buy a motion ducks jerk spreader. It's the only way to go on calm days. On windy days or in a river, just make sure you're hidden well. Scout the area you want to hunt, and set up where the birds want to be. And only shoot birds you can recover- with a dog, that means water slow enough they can actually get to it.

Number one thing you need to learn how to do is hide, especially your face. Use brush, trees, shadows, etc. Resist the temptation to stare at the birds as they come in and follow them with your face. I repeat, keep your face hidden. And don't freaking move unless they've flown past and can't see, or you're coming up to take a shot. They will see movement, and it will flare them- they see it almost as well as a rosy cheek face shining in the morning sunlight. Unless we're hunting the same area, then feel free to ignore that advice. 😉

Don't shoot until you feel like you could grab them. A lot of new waterfowlers have a habit of skybusting everything and ruining their chances for the day. Even if you're an experienced wingshooter (probably are, with a drathaar), let them get as close as possible. Hunt smaller waters if you have to, since it forces them to get closer.

Last edited:
Quit talking about black duck dekes. If your not on the East Coast you dont need em!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back