Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Watefowl

Don't shoot until you feel like you could grab them. A lot of new waterfowlers have a habit of skybusting everything and ruining their chances for the day. Even if you're an experienced wingshooter (probably are, with a drathaar), let them get as close as possible. Hunt smaller waters if you have to, since it forces them to get closer.
32E5C629-17D2-420D-A7AA-4B383E16C3A7.jpeg

Ditto on all the above gear. As it comes to the hunting, also great tips above. In my experience, get out as much as you can this year and you'll be surprised how much you learn quickly in utilizing variables ie decoy spread/movement, wind direction, etc. Other gear that is small but could be a difference maker in your experience...warm layers, not sure on your situation but if you have to walk very far finding an efficient way to do so via cart and/or sled, duck strap and don't stop your gun!

When I first started duck hunting it was about 2009 or 2010 and I was about 18-19 years old and not making a lot of money. My cousin and I had access to his dads property that had a duck swamp on it so we found some used decoys in a classified ad paper in Charlotte. Went to buy them and the guy a retired Chesapeake Bay waterfowl guide had the decoys stacked the bathtub of a spare bathroom in his apartment. We bought 2 dozen for $1 a piece. These were the old Quack decoys. Idk how old they were but we repainted them and hunted and killed our first ducks over them. We were clueless. Didn’t even have a dog. Shot ducks and then fetched them ourselves in a canoe till we got a dog. Our summer waders for trout fishing about froze us in the winter and my spray painted Mossberg sure wasn’t a Benelli but honestly those were some the best times. My point is get some gear and get out there and go for it.

Didn’t even have a dog. Shot ducks and then fetched them ourselves in a canoe till we got a dog.
First two years my brother and I didnt either. We hunted a lake almost every weekend. A pos john boat that leaked a LOT and two oars. Man fetching some of those cripples turned into some real rodeos. I remember laughing afterwards as we were hoping nobody was watching. (God I hope peta wasn't watching😆). Then the following year we bought a battery and a trolling motor. Then we were big time. I bought my dog out of pure necessity, but like @geetar said those were some of the most fun hunts. What a learning curve it has been.

First two years my brother and I didnt either. We hunted a lake almost every weekend. A pos john blat that leaked a LOT and two oars. Man fetching some of those cripples turned into some real rodeo. I remember laughing afterwards as we were hoping nobody was watching. (God I hope peta wasn't watching😆). Then the following year we bought a battery and a trolling motor. Then we were big time. I bought my dog out of pure necessity, but like @geetar said those were some of the most fun hunts. What a learning curve it has been.
Great story Nick. If I could go back and do it all again I would.

My ol man has some of those packable Dakota decoys they're pretty damn nice if a guy has to walk a ways look good to.

Make sure you get yourself a new enclosed trailer with stickers Lots of waterfowl stickers. Literally everywhere, put em on your guns, the bags, the damn dog, everywhere. 😉

Look online to for guys selling spreads and blinds and gear it's a good way to get stuff at a fraction of the cost

Chasing birds are a lot of fun lots, you'll never stop learning. Good luck.

I appreciate the info everyone. I just ordered a dozen mallards
LMFAO I knew you'd like that one....

@802flyfish did you buy that jet boat? If not let me know where it is and I'll go look at it😁

He sold it on me🤬. Trying to talk the wife into buying a new one next year if I can’t find anything in the mean time.

I appreciate the info everyone. I just ordered a dozen mallards

He sold it on me🤬. Trying to talk the wife into buying a new one next year if I can’t find anything in the mean time.
There's a few out there.... I wouldn't spend what they want on a new one. Nice little boats but not for 26k or better.

My ol man has some of those packable Dakota decoys they're pretty damn nice if a guy has to walk a ways look good to.

Make sure you get yourself a new enclosed trailer with stickers Lots of waterfowl stickers. Literally everywhere, put em on your guns, the bags, the damn dog, everywhere. 😉

Look online to for guys selling spreads and blinds and gear it's a good way to get stuff at a fraction of the cost

Chasing birds are a lot of fun lots, you'll never stop learning. Good luck.
Extra points for those long barrel stickers and make sure the trailer makes it to the Extra Stupid Window Sticker thread.

Thirsty ass wanna be social media influencers have torched a lot of the spots I used to hunt. When you find something good keep it to yourself.
One of the top reasons to get burned out.

To accompany the stickers make sure you make a team or crew up, trade mark it and get rich.

#quackpack

One of the top reasons to get burned out.

To accompany the stickers make sure you make a team or crew up, trade mark it and get rich.

#quackpack
I’ve official trademarked the term “duckdytansy”
Extra points for those long barrel stickers and make sure the trailer makes it to the Extra Stupid Window Sticker thread.
Going need a bigger trailer for all these stickers.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back