Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Unit 410 Archery

You can get an atv in just as much trouble or stuck just as bad in the gumbo over there.
Given the drought status, you can expect vehicle restrictions to be in place. There will be people who ignore them and drive their ATV through bone-dry grass to get 50 yds closer to the trail head.
water problems are easy to find in the Breaks. too little or too much.

Really curious how your hunt went. We've hunted it for years and years for deer in November and the dryness was no joke this year. I don't think I've seen the breaks that dry before.

Looks like KB might have smashed and grabbed. KB, feel free to chime in and set me straight.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess you drew the tag?
Well not the 410 tag but I put my son in hoping to get a bonus point and not draw. Well he drew 417 rifle. I have hunted it a few times 10 years ago. Thinking this year the weather could be the same (dry) and looking towards the river.

Well not the 410 tag but I put my son in hoping to get a bonus point and not draw. Well he drew 417 rifle. I have hunted it a few times 10 years ago. Thinking this year the weather could be the same (dry) and looking towards the river.
417 is now a separate unit and not included in the 410 permit.

Well 417 is pretty limited access anyway as far as where to go. His permit is for archery and rifle so we plan on doing both if needed. Just thinking if it’s dry the river would be where to focus during archery and we are undecided yet on what time to hunt it during the rifle season. We have rifle hunted it on the opener and also 3rd week of November. Weather is always a gamble

Congrats on the tag. As @golfer pointed out, 410 and 417 were unbundled this year. They are very different in a number of ways - access, topography, elk densities. Where elk are during September archery will be different that where they are in November unless you can find an alfalfa or wheat field and get access.
Good luck on the hunt.

Back