Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Surplus/turned back in Elk Tags

TN VOL

Hey guys so I didn’t draw NM..was planning on going into the WY draw and now I’m considering Montana, even though the draw has come and gone. My question: does anyone know if you can buy a turned in tag in May like last year? I thought I heard that the Montana game and fish changed it to completely an alternate list that’s a draw now...?? I remember last year they had tags you could buy online in May and then an alternate list you could sign up for as well in the summer in hopes of getting a tag...anyone know anything about what’s going on with that this year??
thanks!

I know they are changing the way the alternates list works - that’s all it says online as of now . Guessing in week or so it’ll be explained

I believe the alternates list this will be open from May 15 thru June 30th. It should be a draw. Like in years past and Not like last year. Last year was a cluster error. I drew a alternate big game combo two years ago two days before the season. Last year I think they over sold elk combo permits was the reason for no alternates drawing.

Last edited:
There was a alternates drawing last year but for deer combos only : about 1900 people signed up they had a drawing I got 165 or so and received a tag by Labor Day

I’m not sure that will work for me.. if they don’t reveal if you draw a tag until September or later..

Back