MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana surplus tags going random draw system

8andcounting

What in the heck is going on ? Saw a email on this can anyone explain it better ?

What a shit show , went online to sign up they don’t even list the # available ..... Fwp can pound sand and keep their tags

So will you be turning any other tags you’ve drawn this year since your not on board with how they are operating?
No . That’s not the point . Now you gotta sign up on basically a alternates list to get a surplus (leftover) tag that no one wanted to begin with and go through a month long process late in the summer to see if you can even have a chance at it ...... unreal

No . That’s not the point . Now you gotta sign up on basically a alternates list to get a surplus (leftover) tag that no one wanted to begin with and go through a month long process late in the summer to see if you can even have a chance at it ...... unreal
I guess I’d rather see it this way that way I don’t have to get up at 5am to find out if the license is even available. At least they will just email ya now saying yay or nay.

I guess I’d rather see it this way that way I don’t have to get up at 5am to find out if the license is even available. At least they will just email ya now saying yay or nay.
Huh ?...... there’s always been a list days ahead of time ..... you go on at 5am MT if you think it’s one that’ll sell out fast . It’s not hard . Now you sign up , won’t know until after August 7th if you are even in the running then it’ll be days or weeks before you do get to buy one . Hell , some elk seasons open August 15 .......

Huh ?...... there’s always been a list days ahead of time ..... you go on at 5am MT if you think it’s one that’ll sell out fast . It’s not hard . Now you sign up , won’t know until after August 7th if you are even in the running then it’ll be days or weeks before you do get to buy one . Hell , some elk seasons open August 15 .......
For residents there’s normally a spread sheet that says x amount available at 5am starting this day. It’s a mad dash. I guess if I don’t randomly get drawn it is what it is, at least I don’t have to get up early to find out someone else beat me to it.

For residents there’s normally a spread sheet that says x amount available at 5am starting this day. It’s a mad dash. I guess if I don’t randomly get drawn it is what it is, at least I don’t have to get up early to find out someone else beat me to it.
Ok good luck to you and have a good fall

Let’s draw all the way until season opens , heck why not

Why not...and I still don't know why they have to wait until August to release pronghorn results. I get figuring out winter kill, etc. but good grief, they should have that done long before August.

Montana just seems like a train wreck these days.

Why not...and I still don't know why they have to wait until August to release pronghorn results. I get figuring out winter kill, etc. but good grief, they should have that done long before August.

Montana just seems like a train wreck these days.
They don’t want to give people any time to scout or make plans .

Oh well I’m happy I just bought a couple R7 mule doe tags ! Got invited to a rancher just west of the ND boarder by baker to take a couple doe’s opening week. Should be fun ! Thin the heard !

After my NWT sheep hunt was pushed to 2022 and I wasn’t drawn for my usual NR big game combo tag, I thought 2020 was a complete bust. With COVID making things very tough at work and at church I was feeling pretty depressed. I’ve been to MT hunting for elk at least 11 times and numerous antelope hunts. Only missed a couple antelope draws - always got my elk and deer tag (lucky I know)...well miracles happen; after applying for the Alternate List and drawing 981 I thought it was over for sure. Then MT notifies us that the posting was incorrect and I was really 381 - still a long shot for the Big Game Combination. This past week my number hit and I bought my Big Game tag! Feeling extremely blessed to be going back to my favorite honey hole near the Big Belts.

Last edited:
After my NWT sheep hunt was pushed to 2022 and I wasn’t drawn for my usual NR big game combo tag, I thought 2020 was a complete bust. With COVID making things very tough at work and at church I was feeling pretty depressed. I’ve been to MT hunting for elk at least 11 times and numerous antelope hunts. Only missed a couple antelope draws - always got my elk and deer tag (lucky I know)...well miracles happen; after applying for the Alternate List and drawing 981 I thought it was over for sure. Then MT notifies us that the posting was incorrect and I was really 381 - still a long shot for the Big Game Combination. This past week my number hit and I bought my Big Game tag! Feeling extremely blessed to be going back to my favorite honey hole near the Big Belts.
Good luck and have a blast!

Learned today that if you are selected off the alternate list and buy the tag, it does not count against your preference point. By the way they are coming up to 600 on the NR Big Game Combos...I believe that’s unusual. I was told 300 to 350 would be as far as they would get.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back